Archinect
anchor

"Surface" Computer

Sconie

Warning! This is a fairly nerdy post. I just came across this article and thought it warranted a topic of its own.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4217348.html

May 30, 07 5:22 pm
MADianito

yeah another friend sent me the link also today to me... mmmhhh Laser Discs, Tablet computers, MiniDisc... ppff so many things so many factors.... lets wait and see, what u want to draw in autocad w/ur fingers???, lets wait until this is really up, rolling and reliable, meanwhile keep ur laser pointer mouse

May 30, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

it is absolutely pathetically nerdy how exciting that is...

god I'm a geek+

May 30, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

It's interesting - The guy Kim who makes these things demonstrated a version about a year ago, and after the iPhone was announced there was speculation that he had been hired by Apple. It appears he's still out there doing his own work, and work allied to MS. I would say that multi-touch is going to be showing up a lot in the near future if there are a number of major companies experimenting with it.

For me, the coolest trick is putting the camera down on the table, dragging the pictures out, and throwing them across into the handheld computer. That's just ace.

May 30, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i can't wait until the day when i can build a 3d computer model with my hands.

May 30, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

momentum...is it weird that I am far more excited about that than I am about building physical models?

May 30, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

just bought a tablet monitor - 15" screen w/ a funky lil touch pen. takes a lil bit to get used too. but all in all its pretty damn cool!
-photoshop is real fun - and revit and or acad is a bit annoying. i write w/ my left hand - use the mouse w/ my right and for the hotkeys i use my left hand...now that the pen is my mouse and my pen is in my left hand its a lil disorenting using my right hand for the hotkeys -- sometime i hate being partially abidextrous - why cant i just go all the way

May 30, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i saw an interview with bill gates on tv today about this. he didnt seem to suggest that this is the absolute future of computing, just a direction of it. he suggested that it was aimed more at service industries like restaurants, hotels, etc and not to replace the conventional computer. the tech is cool though.

May 30, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wanna susan surface computer!

May 30, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Imagine this surface computer running a drafting or 3d modeling application...

It would be as tactile as pencil drafting but with the ease and speed of clicking icons and typing short hand keys to manipulate your drawings as necessary. 3d modeling will be a matter of literal hand gestures of streching, pulling, rotating, scaling, etc. I am getting so excited just thinking about this.

Imagine tossing your clunky computer and having this interactive desk be your workstation. It kind of reminds me of old school Pac-Man arcade games.

I'm obsessed. I want this.

May 30, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Mr. Gatti's Pizza...that's a stroll down memory lane.

May 31, 07 8:19 am  · 
 · 
jetcetera

Three letters:

O-S-X

May 31, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
fernandomorrison

momentum...is it bizarre that I am unmistakably more amped up for that than I am tied in with structure physical models?

https://protoolsadviser.com/ buyer's guide

Apr 1, 19 5:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: