Archinect
anchor

rhino to 3dmax

Josie Truong

can anyone please tell me what is the best way to bring a rhino model in 3dmax?

May 25, 07 6:45 pm
remonio

NPower Translators

http://www.npowersoftware.com/translators/ptoverview.htm

May 25, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito
.IGS format

...thats the best way

but will make ur MAX model way more heavy than in RHINO....so if u just want to translate it to MAX to render.... i will recommend also u spend time on FLAMIGO and might get as nice render as in MAX and still use the file straight from RHINO...

still if u wanna transfer RHINO to MAX, theres nothing better than IGES (.IGS) format.... export like that

May 25, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Josie Truong

thanks MADianito

what do you think of exporting it to a .3ds or dwg format?

May 25, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
filo

.3ds or .dwg just will mesh yours nurbs, and you don't want that to happen to sweet lines, but if it's a box it won't make a difference
but try it out ...

May 26, 07 7:01 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I get great meshes from Rhino into 3ds with no problems whatsoever as .dwg and / or .3ds

May 26, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
aspect

so do u guys prefer to do the final rendering at 3dmax instead of rhino?? i asked the similar question at the vray thread, however i got mixed view.

May 26, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ya if you are at a final stage of no change y not go mesh but also y not stay in rhino?

remonio said it that might be one of the best

May 26, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

my issue is, i use houdini and maya for modeling... however, houdini is great for scripting/modeling but not for still object renderings and maya mental ray will crush in not time if the object is heavy.

so now, i either export to 3dmax or rhino for rendering...

3dmax Vray i sort of know how to use with lots of local tutorials...

and rhino, i kind of want to pick up the new toy.

i guess may be the ideal is to try both, but that may takes some time.

May 26, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

well i had done the export as a DWG but because it makes graphiocally quite interesting meshes from the nurbs and surfaces, but i dont use that to work, just to add it to sections or renderings or stuff...

May 28, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

and mmhh it always depends, if i have time and a very good powerfull machine, i do preffer to render (for best quality) on MAX, model on RHINO and render in MAX...if im short of time, and/or the computer is no thtat powerfull i will render in FLAMINGO (straight from Rhino)... its all relative...the best u can do its manage everything, so then u can take the best decision when the moment arrives...

May 28, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

IGES....

and I agree with MAD, model in rhino and render in max

and also... I noticed the render option in rhino 4 is quite improved over previous editions... good for more conceptual/transparent models

May 28, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Vray for Rhino!
Vray for Rhino!
Vray for Rhino!
Vray for Rhino!

And Fry....

May 28, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Does anyone know how to export the nice construction lines of Rhino surfaces into Max?

May 29, 07 2:25 am  · 
 · 
French

just export selected as dwg then import into max...

May 29, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
French

and I don't quite get the use of importing IGEs if it's just to render...
Mesh are easily editable in max, alot more than nurbs objects, and the meshing module of rhino works perfectly as long as you spend enough time on it in advanced mode; takes a lot of tweaking to get the necessary level of detail but it's great. I'd go for 3ds export if you'll render your object in max..

May 29, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Josie Truong

thanks for all your feedback everyone. very helpful.

im also wondering if there is a plug-in for 3d max to render out vector lines. i know that maya has this feature i believe it's called vector render (?) that render out beautiful lineworks that you can edit in illustrator and cad. im a max user so im just wondering if that feature is also available for 3dsmax...

May 29, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Josie Truong

forgot to add...

i do use make2d in rhino but it only generates outlines and hidden lines. im looking for something that will render out lineworks of the meshes as well

May 29, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
zrose717

i dont know of a plugin that renders out vector lines in max. the closest thing i have seen is to use mental ray or vray contour lines. if you render out the model at a high enough resolution, it wont matter if the image is rasterized or vector anyways.

to go back to your original question about exporting from rhino...QUIT RHINO. the only advantage to using rhino is that its quick to pick up and the snaps are great. exporting models from rhino into max will NEVER result in clean models that render as quickly as possible. rhino is just not as suited for architecture as max.

max has so many more advantages over modelling than rhino does. the biggest advantage is the modifier stack...im sure you know what that is, but there is much more to it than just 'uvw map'!

force yourself to build your next project strictly in max...it will suck and you will hate it, but before long, you will see how building in max can be so much faster and so much more flexible.

~z
www.zr3d.com

May 29, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

supposedly the latest version of penguin 2 for rhino 4 can output vectors, but I have had no luck with it and not enough time to mess about with it. I think it could do meshes but I'd have to check...

May 29, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
chad_c

For mesh linework make2d is going to give you problems. Most of the vector-output commands in Rhino only work on nurbs objects (contour, section, make2d). If it's not too heavy, you can turn your mesh into nurbs "meshtonurb" which will turn each triangle or quad into a surface. but beware - this can bog down your model pretty quickly.

I haven't tried penguin for rhino4 - but that sounds like a better route.

May 29, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i made the comparison of exporting from rhino of the same object which is quite a complex form...

and i think dwg. is the most sensible.

because the file iges. is 3-8 times larger than dwg. and not feasible if you have a large scene.

some details are missing in in the 3ds file although is a smaller file than the dwg.

May 29, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Anyone know how to maintain the correct scale when you import an STL file from Rhino into 3dsmax??

I actually like the meshes that are produced with some forms when outputting as an STL...but everytime I bring the file into Max the scale is out of whack and there is no option to set it in the export or import.

May 30, 07 2:42 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

BRYDEN...mmhhh i think for an accurate STL file i would definetly first model it thru Solid Works or Top Solid...which are softwares which are completelly accurate for an STL... rhino is no that much (actuaally maya is more accurate than rhino for STL), also there's rapid prototyping companies like ARRK which offer a freeware (which is developed by them and ultimatelly what they use in a more complete version, to 3d.print anything) where u can check and correct ur STL models before printing, so that also might help u to translate it to MAX (not that i have tried to that way, but give it a chance)

May 30, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

by the way on the RHINO website is a sections where they have all the PLUG-INs developed for rhino from nesters to renderers, so u might want to spend a trip into it, and look around, they might find whatever ur looking for to satisfy ur rhino experience

May 30, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
playasclub

I like to mix my rhino files with chocolate pudding before opening them in max. give it a try, i think you might find it helpful.

May 30, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: