Archinect
anchor

Last question of the day..........

Enigmatic Mind

Why did you want to be an architect and not a engineer........to much math......???

May 22, 07 2:09 pm
mdler

hey ladies........

May 22, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

chugga chugga

May 22, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

I take it as, you got to get "nitti and gritti" with the work........wears you out like the pic mdler put up huh????

May 22, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Engineers have no fasion sense.

May 22, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

why WOULD we want to be engineers?

Doing calculations and diagrams all day is an entirely different thing than design.

I have a hard time figuring out how someone could be unsure about which of the two fields to go into, as they are so different.

May 22, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I had a roommate who was an electrical engineer. First year out of undergrad he makes $75K working around 60 hours a week. His wardrobe is comprised solely of navy blue pans and sweaters (it may be only one of each, I'm not sure) offset by a lighter colored polo under the sweater. Brown dress shoes and white athletic socks. He also wears a name badge and a thumb drive on a lanyard around his neck. I'd rather die.

May 22, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
simples

enigmatic mind...i wanted to create...to design...

my grandfather was a general contractor, and when i was a kid, my uncle used to drive us around and point to the buildings grand'pa had built and i thought that was accomplishing something...

i got into architecture because i wanted to be involved in the design of buildings...seeing what you design being built gives you an imense rush...

May 22, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

very well put simples

engineering is so straight forward and dry.

i like architecture and it's creative sense. more freedom.

May 22, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I also didn't want to be a busdriver, a maxillo-facial surgeon, or a copyright lawyer.

May 22, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

As a child, I had aspirations of being a cement truck driver.

May 22, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jamchar

I actually started off school with the desire to be a structural engineer. The idea of erecting massive bridges and buildings seemed almost magical to me. Then I started to realize that engineering is relativley boring. I wanted to have more control over the design process of the project. So at the ripe age of 21 I changed my major, school, city. All in the persuit of architecture.

May 22, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

i wanted to be an architect because i love doing door schedules, window schedules, partition details, life safety plans... etc...

May 22, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
some person

This question has crossed my mind, but then I ask myself: "Where is the joy?" I suppose it depends upon which type of engineering you're referring to. Structural engineering is closely related to building form... plumbing engineering is closely related to... well... toilets.

Here's another question: would you rather be an engineer OR a detailer who creates systematized shop drawings all day?

May 22, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
May 23, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

First off, Chili, that's the most honest jpeg I've ever seen in my life.

There are several reasons I'm not an engineer.
1. Math sucks...a lot.
2. I have fashion sense.
3. I have been with a woman.
4. Pocket Protectors, Thumb Drives, and white socks should not be your daily dress code. (see #2)
5. Construction 1,2,3, & Special studies. I didn't learn a damn thing about construction, but damnit I can read a sizing chart. Nothing I'd want to do for the rest of my life.
6. I like talking to the general public.
7. I like the fact that when I tell people what I do, they know what the hell I'm talking about.
8. People ask me advice on all things residential...constantly. I'm sure it could be annoying to most people, but its a nice ego booster on a crappy day.
9. Hygiene.
10. Seriously, though, I like sex, and I just don't see the engineering field being very condusive to that type of behavior.
11. I'd rather be in a room full of black than a room full of short-sleeve button downs any day.
12. Math...every day...all day...seriously?
13. Do I have to mention sex again?

May 23, 07 1:26 am  · 
 · 
garpike

What the hell is this thread?

May 23, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Why did you want to be an unicorn and not a fairy........to (sic) much dust......???

May 23, 07 1:34 am  · 
 · 
upside

more horn?

May 23, 07 3:03 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

I've got a fever. And the only prescription...is more horn.

May 23, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
mdler

jesus,

do you love me?

May 23, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

jesus,

this is Iggy

May 23, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: