Archinect
anchor

Small College Town/No work

rfuller

So I posted on another thread why I can't work, but I'll give another quick run down for those who missed it.

I live in a smallish College town. (I live less than a mile away from Bobby Knight if that helps) My father-in-law is a big General Contractor here, and so that means

1. He doesn't want to hire me because I'd be the "jerk-off son-in-law who doesn't know anything" no matter what my level of knowledge/preformance.

2. His architects don't want to hire me lest I should get fired and harm relationships.

3. His architects' competition doesn't want to hire me because they have a chip off their collective shoulder (heaven forbid I actually bring them some business).

So I'm stuck doing accounting work and designing small "outdoor living spaces" on the weekends. Don't get me wrong. I make WAY more than all my friends, but I'm not getting any experience.

My question is this. What the hell can I do to gain some experience besides these stupid Outdoor living spaces? Do I just read books like holy hell and start fixing up my house? That's pretty much been it up till now. The end goal here it to run a Design/Build firm (just like every other Arch Student today.)

I can't step on too many toes (meaning I probably can't go get a construction job with someone else) and I've already worked every job at the lumber yard including take-offs. I know I've got a fair ammount of experience including a year as a Product Development Intern for an industrial designer, I'm just one semester away from my Bach and I'm getting anxious. Since I have little or no chance to get work at a firm during the next three years, what can I do to make myself more employable?

Sorry, that was a long question. Big thanks to anyone who gives a serious answer.

May 21, 07 5:34 pm

move

May 21, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

re-marry

May 21, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

re-peat

May 21, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

rinse first.

May 21, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Sounds like you need to chill.....enjoy the summer....maybe take the wifey to the lake and spend some quality time together. So when your done with school, she will have a reason to leave town with you.

May 21, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Not a question. Totally moving when school's over. (And heading to the lake this weekend). The problem is we both have to finish our degrees. Any advice on what I can do until then?

May 21, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

save as much cash from what you're doing now...

May 21, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

move to ohio.
I hear they are hiring in columbus...

too bad as a college student you can't collect unemployment. so enjoy the 'small outdoor spaces' and a few beers. relax it's the summer and you won't have many more of these with so little pressure.

May 21, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

or try out for knight school

May 21, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

If you make “WAY” more money than others (presumably students working in the field) then why don't you stick with your job and see if you can intern/shadow someone on the side [very part time], just to get exposure? No matter how small the town is….I can’t imagine someone passing up free/ cheap labor because of some [not-so-direct] relationship. Especially if your leaving after graduation- make it clear that your intentions are simply to learn- not to take over.

I understand your fear of perceived nepotism, but (and please don’t take this the wrong way) are you really that important?...That much of a threat?...Especially if you are leaving?

May 21, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im watchin fast times at ridgemont high and missing my summer fast food job!

May 21, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

drive a cab and read a shit load. if that doesn't work call coach knight and tell him you can play the number 1 guard.

May 21, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

how 'bout just relaxing and enjoying college??? you'll only get to do it once.

May 22, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

have you tried putting it in your wifes butt

May 22, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

serious answer:

i had that same problem and you know what i did when i just couldn't get an architectural job anywhere and kept getting rejected?

i dropped off more resumes, i made more calls, etc. etc. etc!!!!.. until someone finally gave me the time of day. stop whining and keep doing anything and everything it takes to get a job with a firm. where do you live, Lubbock? i don't believe for a second that every single firm there knows you and has some reason they won't hire you. thats bullshit.. you know autocad??..then someone will hire you.. if not, LEARN IT. maybe the attitude problem is with you... maybe you don't want to work for other people?? maybe you think your above working under other architects?? building this soap opera-esque fantasy about your life just justifies that maybe.

if not just knock your wife up and settle into a nice life of fat slugglish smalltown yoakle oblivion and work your way up to manager of the lumber yard.. maybe that suits you better??

May 22, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
cln1

relax, read, experiment with small scale projects and fabrications, get licensed, start own firm, flip off anyone who gets in your way, prove your worth to father-in-law, start sister company with him for design build, retire to lake house

May 22, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

or just get your tubes tied then you can shoot blanks at any chick that walks by

May 22, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

EvilP and Eastcoastarch, I like the way you guys think.

Lots of good answers.

Work for idle hands, what crawled up your ass? Believe it or not I'm not some lazy kid waiting for work to come my way, and no, I would not like a nice life of fat slugglish smalltown yoakle oblivion. That's what this whole damn thread is about.

BTW, concerning Coach Knight, here's some triva for you:
When he moved to Lubbock he bought an entire block in a new subdivision so that he wouldn't have any neighbors.

May 22, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

university planning/facilities office - you'll be working under architects
city department - again, you'll be working under architects (probably)
mass transit - they build, not usually exciting, but you never know
parks department - they build

think outside the box

May 22, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

university architects usually have nothing to do with the city.

May 22, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

i didn't say you were lazy in fact to quote myself i said 'keep doing anything and everything it takes' indicating that i have no doubt your putting forth effort. what bothers me is that it sounds like your looking for some clever or crafty way around what you should be doing which is just selling yourself to people to get the kind of job you want. Why? this entire profession is about selling yourself and convincing either the father in law or his architect friends or his architect enemies that 'i am a great employee' and 'you wont regret hiring me'. the first summer i worked for a firm while still in school i would have absolutely spent the entire summer as a checker at a grocery store if i had just given up after the first, oh, fifty or so rejections and said 'no one wants to hire me cause of this or that or whatever'.

that's it, there's no other answer. a person who settles for a lesser job or a different job just cause it was a little easier to come by ain't going to be successful when they go into business for themselves, and if i pissed you off good, my answer was serious unlike most people's (which you asked for i believe, i can certainly make off color remarks about anal sex as well). instead of getting so defensive about being lazy get out and work even harder. hell, i have a full time job with an architect and for christ's sake i could every day if i wanted to find a gripe about the direction my life is going to post a thread about.. we all could.., to put this all in perspective...'what should i do' 'what should i do'.. jesus.

oh and i lived in texas for several years myself. the boyfriend of a girl i went to school with drove every day about an hour and a half (not from traffic, but distance) coming and going to an engineering job in another city just cause it was an excellent job he really valued and thought the distance was worth it. so there's always lots of options even outside your city if you really want it badly enough.

May 22, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

oh and i'm actually kind of proud of myself... after about 120 posts i finally got the 'what crawled up your ass' response... YES!! its about time.

May 22, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

get a job at the steakhouse that gives you a free six pound steak if you eat it all.

May 22, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

never said they did vado

May 23, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: