Archinect
anchor

Working outside of Architecture...

difficultfix

How many of you who have graduated with an architectural degree work in another field...

I am asking thiis question because their is another post about what kind of field you can get in with an architectural degree, but my question is how many of you archinectors work in a field outside of architecture?

May 20, 07 4:55 pm
brian buchalski

i'm not sure i understand the question...outside the field of architecture? what?...do you mean as like a landscaper?...or maybe as a farmer?...because there's not many architects doing that kind of work...except maybe "john from the mountain"...he might be an architect/farmer.

May 20, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Hey OF - How did you transfer into that line of work? I've known a few people that have crossed over and found it to be a much more pleasurable experience...

May 20, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I do. 2 degrees in architecture. I cherish my education.

May 20, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the majority of my classmates (at least my closest friends) are not doing architecture (m.arch class of '05).

May 20, 07 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

of my undergrad classmates from osu, about half left architecture in the 90's recession. there is one actor/artist, three or four computer animators, four plus went to autodysis /formZ, a few moms, and i became a set designer.

now I'm back on the fence between architecture and landscape.

May 20, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

to be more specific, three went straight into academics, one started a non-profit theater company, but the majority are now doing work as owner's reps or something in or related to development.

also perhaps noteworthy almost all of these people are currently in new york. i'm not sure what this says exactly - if its hard to find satisfying architecture work in nyc, if the pressures of making a living in the city moves people towards other professions, if people who are attracted to new york have a greater breadth of interests, etc.

maybe it's dangerous to generalize too much, but an interesting pattern.

May 20, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm working on a t-shirt line, a jewelry line, a furniture line....and some other shit

b

May 20, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

most of the architectural field has nothing to do with architecture.

May 21, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'd love to work outside of architecture. Unfortunately, I'm stuck inside architecture all day. I wonder what the sun look like...

May 21, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'd love a job in the field. My father-in-law is a big General Contractor here, and so that means

1. He doesn't want to hire me because I'd be the "jerk-off son-in-law who doesn't know anything" no matter what my level of knowledge/preformance.

2. His architects don't want to hire me lest I should get fired and harm relationships.

3. His architects' competition doesn't want to hire me because they have a chip off their collective shoulder (heaven forbid I actually bring them some business).

So I'm stuck doing accounting work and designing small "outdoor living spaces" on the weekends. Don't get me wrong. I make WAY more than all my friends, but I'm not getting any experience. It should be fun trying to find a job when I finish up my MArch. "Yeah, I've got a degree, but hell if I know anything". I can't wait.

May 21, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cook some books!

May 21, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I think I am going to become a professional dog walker here in LA...

upwards of $200,000 a yr...

May 21, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

bobbi?

May 21, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

aNY OF YOU GOT iNDUSTRIAL DESIGN WORK? WITH OUT AN iNDUSTRIAL DESIGN DEGREE

May 21, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Industrial Design was how I got sucked into this whole thing. My first job at 16 was working as a CAD Monkey for the company that made those plastic Christmas Light holders that go under the shingles. I took shop in Jr. High and Highschool and learned just enough about ACAD to alter the product specs for international sales. It was a pretty great gig.

I don't do anything on a mass scale any more, but I have made custom pen holders out of SnapOn tool boxes for a few eccentric pen collectors. Just small work. Not enough to pay the bill, maybe just enough to buy the beer.

May 21, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i LOVE those plastic christmas light holders. you invented those? sweet.

May 21, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Correction, my dad's best friend, Lonnie invented those. He's a former Architect, and the guy who gave me my first (and so far only) break in the design field. But like I said, it was a great gig for a 16 year old. It's a shame what happend to the company. He sold out to a big firm in Seattle, who then went bankrupt, and all the copyrights and patents were sold off during the settlement. Sad day. Fun while it lasted.

May 21, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

I used to work at frog design. Since then I have been on my own running a graphic design business.

May 21, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I like doing everything....except drafting

May 21, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

yeh those owners reps really do have all the control ..i met with one of them for the first time today ...they got it made

May 21, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: