Archinect
anchor

demf..detroit music fest

binary

i know some are close to detroit and like electro/house/techno music

so every year theres an event in detroit on memorial day weekend that has alot of music/events/etc.....

www.demf.com

i'll be there getting my robot on and might be performing...

b

May 19, 07 12:30 am
Living in Gin

I went there with a friend in 2001, and it was incredible. Unfortunately, Derrick May's finale got rained out by a severe thunderstorm, but other than that it was a very good time.

May 19, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

I'm hoping to go through CJAM 91.5, the station I volunteer at.

May 19, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i listen to 91.5 when i can catch it...... are they online?...

and derrick may is a @#%^&*#$%^ i used to see him all the time and he hoed me out 3 times for a photoshoot for my t-shirt line i'm launching in a week.....

the event will be dope.... alot of nice acts

b

May 20, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
simples

it used to be free...will they be charging admissions this year?! do you know how much!?

May 21, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

$21/one day; $41/weekend preorder.

sell-outs. it's still a good festival with a lot of great music, but it's definitely gone down hill from the first few years when it was very organic and grassroots (and free).

May 21, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
erjonsn

cryzko, everything is available for streaming. www.cjam.ca

glad to meet some American listeners!

May 21, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
simples

jafidler...i agree...

how did they end up being able to charge $21 for an event that takes place in a public park (hart plaza)...

May 21, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

On a tangent, did anyone go to the ho-down this weekend?

May 21, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
binary

higher....i started listening to 91.5 years ago... not sure if it was up during the late 90's but i remember getting a canadian station back then...... one of the dj's i can recall is needle 9-14......

the costs for the event arent bad.... you figure a person will pay 40 for a concert that lasts 3 hours..... shyt, u get 3 days of music and dance time...haha......

the early years of the fest were dope...but due to mismanaging and vendors/artists getting hoed by your man d.may, another force tried to do the event over the years....... the city was gonna cancel the event...which is bullshyt because the amount of people this event brings to the city is higher than alot of the free events that the city hosts....jazz fest/hoe down/etc.....

only thing i dont like is the strict gate checks at the main gate...... there is usually the back gate which is alot easier to get water and other stuff in if you plan on hanging out there all day.....

they dont let in flyers/beverages/etc...... so basically you have to buy everything in the event.....

b

May 21, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

simples, it's a good question. i haven't been to the demf since they started charging admission. i imagine it's not too hard to sneak in, but there's probably security looking for wrist bands.

chili, no on the ho-down, but we went to eastern market for flower days and did a lot of gardening this weekend.

May 21, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
binary

they charge because they have to cover 4 stages of equipment and the city needs to get theirs..i'm sure........ after the reputation that d.may had by screwing cats over that played/supported the event, i'm sure people are hesitant to even partake in it........

should be a good turn out though......

b

May 21, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

bump-a-roo

Apr 1, 08 2:05 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

maybe this is just an april fool's joke...but i heard that the festival was cancelled this year because all city money was needed for kwame's legal defense.

Apr 1, 08 7:55 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I've always considered going to this. I've been to the Miami WMC & Ultra Fest a few times. Just got back and still in the mood for good techno/house music. How does this event compare to Ultra Fest? Not as many names, but way cheaper. And I'm sure even the best hotels in Detroit can't cost what South Beach does during WMC.

Oh, and Benny Benassi is worth the price of admission alone.

Apr 1, 08 8:57 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

man, i was trying to be too cool for school last year. sneaking in = bad idea.

i'm not a huge techno fan, but living in detroit the music is ubiquitous. all three members of the belleville three still live here. derrick may always seems to be touring, but kevin saunderson plays local clubs from time to time. the hotels do fill up so it's a good idea to book a room in advance.

if there are a few archinecters coming to town for the demf, maybe we could all meet up for a beer some time.

Apr 1, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I went to the first one back in 2000 - and again in 2001... I had a lot of fun that first year...

Apr 1, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

lets go back, wayy back - Groove wont stop

Apr 1, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

it's this weekend....

May 22, 08 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

werd. mutek the weekend after...

and it was a toss up...

May 23, 08 12:01 am  · 
 · 
binary

they actually have a good lineup this year....but the prices are going up.....

May 23, 08 12:48 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

more info here...but i think i'm staying away until they add these guys

May 24, 08 1:05 am  · 
 · 
binary

the moment the demf pulls kraftwerk..... ohh snap.... it's over......

a few years back when the fest was free, they pulled in a few dope hip hop acts.... roots/common/etc...

May 24, 08 3:16 am  · 
 · 
erjonsn

cryzko, off topic, but i will be attending detroit mercy next year. any words to the wise?

May 24, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
erjonsn

from the wise, i meant. freudian slip?

May 24, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
binary

save up your cash....

the woodshop sucks....(ever since i left in 2004)

stay away from "studios for professors"........ aka do this for "my benefit" studios

dont get caught up in the "ego's" of others......

the older professors are the coolest cats......

etc........

May 24, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

the photos from this recap certainly caught my eye...however, this excellent blog was a better read

May 28, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Detroit is not Miami

May 28, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

miami is not detroit. what's your point?

actually, after honeymooning in miami, i was surprised by the similarities between the two cities. outside of sunny, 80 degrees and the beach, i think they share an awful lot when it comes to poverty, immigrant populations, and creative culture.

May 28, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

miami is not detroit

May 29, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
binary

egyptian lover/nucleus/pete rock killed the show......

wikki wikki wikki

May 29, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: