Archinect
anchor

Absolute Quiet :: Soundproofing Apartments

SuperBeatledud

A very interesting article about creating absolute quiet in one's home. Giving Mr. Prager the benefit of the doubt (you get the impression that he has a medical condition) what are your thoughts on creating soundproofed apartments?

One could argue that a certain level of external sound is an inherient (and vital) element of urban life. The question of why external sound is so irritating is also an interesting topic. Do these sounds really irritate us, or are the just a trigger to release our stress which is caused by a deeper underline?

May 17, 07 11:33 am
postal

i would never go to the extent of absolute silence...

but i've just recently moved from a garden view in a multi-tenent building to a renovated coach house.

the garden view was next to a large hall, close to the laundry room, and the windows were worthless. the occasional knife fight would wake me up and 4 am.

the coach house is awesome. bedrooms upstairs so we don't need to hear the fridge, etc. its own little building and in the back of the property with a yard on 3 of the 4 sides. much, much, much better it seems. for living, sleeping, etc. but that could be due to the fact that our new place in on the whole nicer (and more $$)

May 17, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
KEG

my last apartment was:

-1 block from the freeway (I could check out traffic on the 5 from my balcony)
- 1 block from the train tracks (that blows its horn every time it passed through the intersection- every hour)
- 2 block from Burbank Airport.
-late 60's/early 70's apartment w/ original glazing.

It never bothered me at all- i lived alone and when I was working at home (not in studio), I at least felt connected to something.

What bothered me was the number of children in my apartment building- now they're annoying!

May 17, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: