Archinect
anchor

CATIA HELP!!!!

boooyaka

Hiya, I am trying to do some stuff in CATIA and if anyone out there knows the program I am getting stuck on a couple things... Just email me!

Thanks~!

May 16, 07 10:48 am
ArT.

what are you trying to do?

May 16, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

hiya ArT! I am trying to instantiate a component onto our site. I have used the "points and planes repition" to create a series of planes on the outline of the site. Next I inserted one set of a point and plane into a new document and created my parameterized pwer copy... The problem is that I have been unable to enter the correct inputs... so when i instantiate the PC it places it one one set of points/planes rather than between two so that it will span the site. I have tried"paste special" both sets of points and planes into the new document to PC and drawng the parameters on that, but it just isn't seeming to work!!! AND the CATIA help files are complete CRAP!

If you understood any of that please help... not sure that I explained it properly though!

Thanks!

May 17, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

okay - i'm trying to understand what you're doing (and i'm coming from digital project - so similar, but anyway...).

now what are you trying to do with the power copy? are you trying to create something that will insert points and planes at a certain distance across the site (or a certain number?)?

so, for example, when you click an edge of the site, it creates a set of points and planes along the edge? i'm not quite sure what you mean since it sounds like you already have the planes in there?

May 17, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

hmmm well i have one document with the outline of the site and i copied points and planes along the parameter... what i am trying to do is make a component that spans from one side of the site (to one setof pts/planes) to the other (another set of pts/planes) ... Next i copy the pts/planes into another document and create connections between the points that have definded parameters. This is the document I PC.... then in the site document I paste this component but i have to select the inputs (both set of pts/planes) to get it to insert properly... HOWEVER the problem is that i can't draw the component between the two planes because i choose them in sketch mode and i begin drawing in that plane and (okay i don't think this is making ANY sense!!!) ... anyway the point is i don't know how the F to get the component to copy between the designated set of points and planes!!! does that make any sense???

probably not~

May 17, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

okay. okay. i went back and read it again. i think i MIGHT have it. what you want is a plane/set of points at the mid point between two planes? so basically, you're going to have to select two planes/points to place your one plane/point in between, maybe?

May 17, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

okay - say you have 5 planes/points on either side of the site and you want 5 planes/points at the midpoint between each side - and you want to pick one set of planes and have it replicate along those other 4 sets of planes/points?

May 17, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
ArT.

OK, are you trying to instantiate into the Sketcher, or are you instantiating a sketch? Either way, I think you would have to update the sketch into a geometrical set.

May 17, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
flashpan

For instantiation to work properly, you will need an input that specifies an orientation - two points and two planes won't do that. Try arraying a set of lines that establish an orientation for each component.

May 18, 07 8:05 am  · 
 · 
njp
for your viewing pleasure
Jun 19, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: