Archinect
anchor

UPenn versus Northeastern

Archlafesh23

Hello All,

I'm writing to get some thoughts on my Grad. School Decision. This Spring I graduated from Northeastern University in Boston with a B. of Science in Architecture. During this 5 yr. program I worked 3 six months coops in Boston and NYC. I know that I have a job in NY if I want it. Heres the kicker: I have the option to stay at Northeastern and receive an MArch degree in 1 year...OR I can go to UPenn for 3 years.

I understand the significance of a Penn degree and I know that I would enjoy the program. BUT money is becoming a huge concern, as I am already 100,000 in debt. Thoughts anyone?

I've also considered getting the MArch from Northeastern and then trying for the Post Professional degree at Penn to "mix up" my education.

May 14, 07 3:49 pm
KEG

Northeastern has an MArch?

huh, didn't know it.

you should go to Penn with me and be in lots and lots of debt like me.

good times.

May 14, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

grad school isn't meant for people with $100k of debt already. you'll never be able to pay off $200k in loans, so don't do it! get the m.arch from NE and don't waste any more time or money in the process. Penn will possibly make you take all 3 years.

ps- kent state also has a 1 year m.arch for BSers.

May 14, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Yea, Penn is isn't a good value for most, ecspecially you.

May 14, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

bdf,
"Penn is isn't a good value for most"

can you elaborate? I get the "ecspecially you" part.

May 14, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a hundred k in debt is not a good value for anyone, unless they have family money in which case daddy will pay. the costs of an architecture degree are ricockulous and you all should revolt.

May 14, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

Why not work for a few years then decide on where you want to do you MArch (seeing as how you need to have it to have a full professional degree). remember there's quite a few good MArch programs that are basically free if you get in, what's the rush....you'll be a slave in an office for the first few years anyway. Have you considered Rice or Princeton? both are basically free if you get accepted. Many others will give a good amount of money if you're talented. Remember schools need good students as much as students need good schools.
Also, i don't recomment doing a Bachelors and Masters degree at the same school (typically), you won't really be able to get the change of view that a Masters degree should bring you.

May 14, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Penn is not a good value if you spent 3-4 years earning a B.S. Arch. It is my understanding that they require nearly everyone to attend for at least 3 years for a master's in arch. At $35,000/year x 3 = +$100,000. In reality, not a good value in reality compared to going to a 2 year master's program <$30,000- ecspecially a highly ranked state school (UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan, Cincinnatti, Illinois, Clemson, Virginia, etc.). Anyone at my firm will say the same, including myself.

Penn is a really good school, but definitly not a good value if you have a B.S. in arch. (which seems to be a little above 50% of applicants).

May 14, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

I guess the biggest deterant for me at Penn was the 3 year committment (4 for a dual major), as well as the lack of certain resources that other top schools have.

In my mind, I could see Penn as being a good-value school if you don't have a B.S. in arch, you've received exceptional schoolarships/financial aid and or you don't/can't want to acheive in-state status to another school.

May 14, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Hum4n

bdf,

I might be going to NEU this fall. Since you are graduating from there, you can help me by giving an insight about the school, the program, the facility, the faculty, and the students in general.

For your situation, it's tough to decide...but I think you should look into other schools beside UPenn...

All the best!

May 14, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Hum 4n-

Archlafesh23 is who you meant

May 15, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
kparch

Archlafesh23,
I went to Northeastern undergrad architecture school and graduated with the same debt (just a couple years ago). I considered going right into grad school and thankfully decided to work a couple of years and reapply. I have been working in NYC for 2 years now, paying 1,000 a month with a pretty high salary for starting junior architects. I've found it very difficult and considered going back to NU for my masters (because I can’t imagine being able to pay back any more loans). I reapplied to schools anyway, and got into Rice with a 1/2 tuition waiver. I have estimated that I will be taking out 50k for 2.5 years. I chose not to go to UPenn (which offered me 4k in scholarships). Everyone I’ve talked to told me not to go back to NU, and I personally feel Rice is worth 50k. Unfortunately, while I’m in school my loans will be accruing interest, and what I’ve worked to pay off in 2yrs will add back by the time I graduate.

I would suggest you not go to UPenn or Northeastern. There are a lot of other schools that will give you aid, and from what I’ve learn there a quiet a few that will give you close to nothing. Also, it can't hurt you to wait, and it might be good for you to realize how hard paying back loans can be. Taking out another 100k would have you paying about 2,000 a month (for a 10 yr repayment). I’ve also realized what school is really best for me. Working in the profession and experimenting with competitions has really changed my view of a graduate education. Out of school I was excited about a Sci-Arc education, and now a place like Rice couldn’t be more perfect.

May 17, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
iferre6

Hello all! i just hope any of you repsond after all these years haha but anyway I was just seeking some advce. I want to transfer form University of Illinois at Chicago Architecture program. I have a few options. I am applying to USC and to UT Austin. Honestly I wish to be realistic and have a safe school because I am not sure what my chances are of getting into these programs. I saw Northeastern University and I read positive thing about it and someone told me its not hard to get in. What do you think? is it hard to get in and is the program good? 

Jan 30, 17 2:17 am  · 
 · 
M.arch123

@iferre6 - are you a masters or undergrad student? What is your reason for transferring from UIC?

Jan 30, 17 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: