Archinect
anchor

3dsout to plasma

evilplatypus

Anyone got any tips for reducing model sizes when exporting to Plasma - newbie plasma user here. My animations are taking 4-5 hours to render

May 7, 07 10:40 am
cowgill

what exactly are you talking about... ?

how to optimize a max/viz scene or what image size to use? Rule of thumb is that for each double in resolution rendered ~ figure a 4x increase in rendertimes.

to answer blindly ~ I'd start with the max resolution of your plasma... 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p... and go from there. I have a 1080p lcd that is 1920x1080 which you can specify in the render dialog box of viz/max but you may not need that high of a resolution. Most plasmas under $4k are only 720i so first figure out what you need onscreen to have a pixel-to-pixel ratio (rendered image to screen res) and go from there. For example... you don't want an animation rendered at 240x320 scaled to fit a screen that supports a res of something much higher... in the end... each pixel becomes the size of a dinnerplate and the quality rendered is totally lost...

May 9, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

er... Discreet Plasma

May 9, 07 12:47 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

specifically - I madea a shell of node points and exported to 3ds ( 8457 nodes to be percise) they are small as a DWG file. But when I get them into Plasma to render them it just crashes - why are they so large files?

May 9, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

if youre talking about exporting to discreet's plasma 3d program.. why? plasma isnt even developed anymore by discreet/autodesk. it was dropped years ago. maybe youre talking about something else i dont know. even if you are using it, plasma was basically a stripped down version of 3dsmax with the most basic rendering capabilities possible. why dont you just render in 3ds?

May 9, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

doh!

May 9, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

was rendered in max - but plasma was optimal for flash animations - plus im on max 4 - works good with vintage programs - plasma was easy for quick, simple animations

if you know better way to render to flash animations let me know -

May 9, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill
http://swift3d.com/

doesn't render huge files well since it's not smp-enabled but in addition to rendering .swf's, it exports vector (.ai , .eps... etc) files from your 3d models

make sure you let them know you're using Max4

May 9, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I KNOW ITS OLD SCHOOL BUT I GOT IT 4 FREE AND IT DOES PRETTY GOOD RENDERS IF YOU CAN USE IT WELL - MIGHT UPGRADE TO VIZ THIS YEAR

THANKS

May 9, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: