Archinect
anchor

PDFs from Illustrator again, need help

pandpieri

I thought I had full control over my pdf making, realizing i do not. I have these plans/posters in illustrator consisting of lots of vector graphics (simple but loads of polygons) and some placed raster images. I need to make an as small pdf as possible, witout any editing possibilities, but still at 300 dpi. Do anyone know the trick, how ever i do it seems like there is still some kind of layering.

I tried printing to a pdf to decrease the file size but, then i dont get the resolution right. Any help is appreciated

/p

May 7, 07 7:39 am

Open your new pdf in Illustrator, then save as a pdf again, while de-selecting the button "Preserve Illustrator editing capabilities". If that still doesn't work, open in Acrobat Pro, select File>Reduce File Size, and then save. One or both of these measures should get rid of the last remnants of layering.

May 7, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
_ks

P;

first vectors are vectors and are inherently embedded into a PDF [just as a clipping mask] so why are you rasterizing your PDF? Second: their is zero difference from 300 dpi to 150 dpi. If you have raster files nested into vectors, just take the images [color and grayscale] and bi-cubic downsample them along with changing the compatability of Acrobat from default 5.0 to 7.0. Acrobat default reduces them from like 300 to 225 [i think but don't quote me] but just change it to 150.

Don't do file reduce size or you'll inherently reduce the entire file and lose quality. The raster files are really the only things taking up size.

_ks

May 7, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

qualifier: my advice was given based on the assumption that editing was finished and you were trying to reduce file size for printing or sharing purposes. Looking back through your post, I don't really know why I assumed this.... so if it isn't the case, disregard as either of those methods will severly hinder editability.

May 7, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
_ks

sry.. i don't think i anwsered your question either....under PDF Optimizer is the controls for reducing file size without losing quality.

May 7, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

The basic fact is that if you have big pictures, and you need them at 300dpi, the file is going to be big.

May 7, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

maybe Indesign would help?

i find that is good at making PDF's and combining raster and vector with lots of options on how the PDF will be compressed

May 7, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
pandpieri

thanks for all help, it sorted out with some change in compression levels, i had to get it small as i was to send it for print, without any need for editing (for that i had an .ai copy). dont really know how the different compression methods differ, but i was in a rush so i had to get it done fast. I just set the compression to JPG, seemed ok?

_ks: what i meant with the vector was that i had generated quite a few stacked on top of each other, and i just had the feeling that the ones below were taking up weight without being seen. Anyhow now it looks good and the vectors are vectors and it looks fine.

Thanks again...

May 8, 07 4:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: