Archinect
anchor

laptop or desktop

binary

i was thinking about getting a new 'puter and not sure if i should get a pc desktop or another pc laptop................. i dont feel like learning a mac either...... i figure o would spend around 2gs on a setup...maybe a desktop and then nuke my laptop............not sure.......... o have dell 8100 now but looking for a better machine if i go to a laptop....

b

May 4, 07 7:11 pm
cpnorris

Well it really comes down to portability. Obviously your money goes a lot further with a desktop but you sacrifice mobility. So if you need to take your computer around with you then get a laptop but if thats not as important then go with the desktop for sure.

May 4, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

You will get more dedicated RAM with a desktop, which is especially important for graphics heavy computing. Laptops tend to "share" RAM and I found that no company explains the difference. Just make sure you do your homework and you understand exactly the stats that you're reading.

If you already have a laptop, perhaps a desktop? Sure its not sexy, but resist the urge for the cool new "toy" and go with something that fits your lifestyle/needs.

May 4, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah in terms of RAM and money, go straight to a desktop..... for the price of a top-performance desktop u get a mediocre-performance laptop.... and they dont heat up as fast as a laptop, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...

desktop

May 4, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah.... i have a friend that speced out a desktop for me...... would be nice to actually work on a bigger screen too...haha...... and my dell sucks anyways.........

would be cool to get a dual screen going too.......

b

May 4, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
r.k

desktop all they way, upgradable, performance, reliability, ergonomics, more for your buck. if you need a portable machine for presentations/client meetings you can always just purchase a small, inexpensive notebook. Besides if your even going to try and build a notebook with specs close to a desktop its going to end up being nearly the size of a desktop anyway... it also depends on what you intend on using it for rendering, modeling, video editing, or just an email junky... As far as "learning" a mac, there isn't much to it. Ive been a avid opponent of mac for years until i began having to render large graphics which comparable specs and besides mac now gives you the option to dual boot your system (bootcamp beta, to be integrated with leopard) osx, xp. Just dont buy your screen through apple. If you decided to go pc i highly recommend building your own, its allot easier than most people think. A few days of research and a days build will save you a grand or more over dell.

May 4, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

damn! pour some water on rtkuku

May 4, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

Yeah, what the hell, build your own. Sounds intimidating but I've seen it done and it doesn't look all that tough -- just do a little research as kuku suggests. You'd save a ton and get exactly what you want. Plus bragging rights...

May 4, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

might have to develop a computer case line...haha..... build it man...build it

b

May 4, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 

hmm I'll throw some weight around

get a laptop...add you could build it yourself. This isn't the 90s when they were brutally expensive to buy or impossible to build. The parts are available at most stores and I guarantee that it will likely be on par in terms of cost. So that covers the cost issue.

Well going 4Gbs of ram with about 200Gb HD might be heavier, so cut the additional hard drive by getting a back up/portable.

in any case you are going to shell out the cash for a massive screen (fujitsu makes a 19.5" wie screen)

so just to make your decision harder...oh yea and you can customise its appearance too

May 5, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

If you cant decide, If you cant make up your mind...Then Get a portable Desktop........A Desk/Lap-Top.....
The Dell XPS M2010

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

May 5, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

build your own desktop. there really isn't much to it. it's really really simple, plus you get to choose the quality of your components.

mobility is overrated. unless you like to look chic reading the nytimes.com at your local starbucks.

May 5, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah.... i think desk top will be a go..... i already have a laptop so i figure the larger setup would be nice to actually work on..

b

May 5, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Dell XPS M2010

I say go for the Portable Desktop;....

May 5, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

That thing is absurdly overpriced.

May 5, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I agree, But It Just looks cool.....

Its true its rather easy to built your onw PC....

and I wouldnt buy that DEll///

But It Looks COOL.....How many people do you know that have something like that.....

Now Imagine the look on everyone's face when you start working on your projects.....or while you are at starbucks.....

Everybody be Like wjat the FU....

May 5, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

They really do need to ad an edit button

May 5, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

It looks like a 90's all in one.

May 5, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: