Archinect
anchor

What Else Could the Macbook Pro Use?

SuperBeatledud

Macbashers, TRY to reframe from bashing...

What else could the wonderful laptops use? I mean my macbook pro purchased back in November was so fantastic, I was able to sell my desktop (256mb V-card standard? about time!!!). Built in camera, built in mic, firewire 800, magnetic power cord, built in remote, back lit keyboard, so great! but hardware wise what else could it have. I would have liked a all in one memory card reader. Currently I have a belkin 5 in 1 reader in my pc express slot, and it sits flush with my casing...so that's great, but it takes up my slot. How about dual monitor dvi support (different from dual-dvi which supports high resolutions such as the 30 in LCDs, which the mac books support). Lets brainstorm here and submit out ideas to Steve Jobs.

Perhaps we can pick the best ideas and have a vote one friday from the powers that be, with the winner getting a free architecture sucks t-shirt.

May 4, 07 4:41 pm
postal

speadsheets...

the ability to calculate how much time you just wasted...

and coded errors...

**side note: i'm not a mac user, but they don't have a print screen button? wierd... well, i guess not so wierd, but it def comes in handy

May 4, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
postal

btw, i prolly won't buy a mac, but i love those commercials

May 4, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

they could use a pair of testicles..oh wait, i was not supposed to bash macs
anyways, there is a utility in the apps section that can do screen capture. there is a way you can assign an app. to a button too, so that might achieve the print screen function.

May 4, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Command-Shift-3 will save a copy of your screen to the desktop.

Command-Shift-4 will let you select which part of the screen to save.

Try it now! It's better than plain old print screen!

May 4, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

you can NEVER have too many USB ports. When in doubt, add two.

May 4, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
BrewedFresh

why would you yuck up your beautiful mac with windows. yeah, just get a regular usb keyboard, the laptop keyboards dont have as many buttons so they can conserve space. print screen isnt the most important function, especially if you are on osx because the image capturing controls give you so much flexibility.

May 4, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
postal

jeez... mac people... give the print screen function a rest... defensive defensive...

i would prefer a new look to the mac... something boxy with a ton of wires going all over the place... i would like it to look utilitarian with an air on the "entirely dumb" looking side...

actually, there was a pretty cool mod on makezine i think where the guy cut out the logo... that'd look pretty slick...

man, it's friday, i spent the last hour here reading threads i have no opinion on...

May 4, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

if it's as easy to take apart as a pc is (I have no idea, don't own a mac yet), I would take the specific panel you wanted lasered off to get it done, so that there was no chance of hardware damage.

ooh, can they be etched?

May 4, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

an example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=94OTGjCsSgM

May 4, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder whether you could use etching creme, if you wanted to cut down on cost and also have more individual control over the process (layers, depths, etc.). The laser is so precise though. Hmmm.

Did you guys notice the sign over the laser cutter, that said "xxx days since last fire"? I wouldn't put my whole laptop in there.

May 4, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

F14 is print screen when using bootcamp. As in: CTRL+ F14, new document in PS, clipboard sized. Then CTRL+V.

Been that way for since always in w/ Bootcamp.

May 5, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
AtelierTabulaRasa

Every student in Wentworth Institute of Technology's architecture program gets a MacBook Pro - because they rock.

May 5, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

FOG - my Fs only go to 12, you got 14? What's up with that?

May 5, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

i think that i remember seeing something about etching macbook pros on here a while ago... but i don't feel like searching for it right now... also, i think that there was something about it in ready made magazine...

May 5, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Phenomenal
RNNR

macbook pro needs to be shrunk.

15.4" is the best we can do?

and speaking of wires coming out all over the place - who uses a MBP with an external monitor? wouldn't some sort of docking station simplify it? (and yes, i know about bookendz - it's pathetic, they basically recreate a plug to fit into *all* the ports)

May 7, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 

RNNR- the problem with that is the word "pro". Professionals generally want more screen area all the time, and it wouldn't be a good bet that the professional market would embrace a 13" macbook pro.

May 7, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
RNNR

ah, that's where i disagree -- 'professionals' are also that much more mobile

besides, they certainly had a market for the 12" powerbook

May 7, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 

I agree that I wish I could get something small and portable, but still with the higher end graphics card, but I just don't think it would be something that taps a new market sector. A 13" MacBook Pro would be a bit of a 'tweener- people wouldn't know whether to get the Pro or the regular MacBook. Because the pricepoint would be so close to that of the 15" Pro, I would expect the majority to continue to choose either the 13" MacBook or the 15" Pro, and a 13" Pro would have a hard time finding a market that was big enough to be worth the production with two other well established but largely similar options available. Just my take on it.

I think the solution is to go small as possible on the laptop, and then have a second monitor sitting at your desk for doing serious layout work.

May 7, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

yeah, i completely understand the market argument -- yet oddly enough i'd probably be willing to pay MORE for something smaller, provided it has similar specs. how tough would it be to put a dedicated graphics card into the macbook for that matter?

personally i didn't get a MBP because of the size, and i'm quite happy with my 13" Sony SZ + a 20" widescreen on my desk (including a docking station for the sake of simplicity)

May 7, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: