Archinect
anchor

difference b/w m.s.arch and m.arch 2 ??

Ahdgins

hello everyone!

I am planning to apply for grad school this year and i had this major confusion!!

i have been going through the courses offered by various US grad schools and most of them  have either both m.s. in architecture and m.arch 2 ( for students with b.arch) or only m.s...

So what's the major difference in the 2 degrees offered?? in case they are offered by the same uni the kind of curriculum they  have seems to be similar... is one more research based and self directed than the other? or the value of the degree varies?

Any help provided would be great!

Sep 10, 12 3:33 pm
curtkram

I would think you should look here

m.arch is a masters degree in architecture.  I don't even know what an m.s. arch is.

i went to a 4+2 program, which means i got a b.s. in architecture, which is not an accredited degree and not enough for me to get a license.  then i got an m.arch.  some people chose to go the 5 year b.arch route, which is a bachelor's of architecture and an accredited degree that can help you get a license to practice architecture.

Sep 10, 12 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

curtcram, an M.S. Arch is a Masters of Science in Architecture, and is roughly equivalent to an M.Arch II in that it is a post-professional masters program. Some schools just try to avoid the confusion between M.Arch I and M.Arch II, so they wound up creating a different kind of confusion that was the M.S. Arch!

And for the OP, an M.Arch is always either an M.Arch I or an M.Arch II, the "one" or "two" signifying whether it is a first professional degree or a second professional degree. If you do not have an accredited undergraduate degree (in the U.S. only a B.Arch counts for this, not a BS or BA in Architecture), then you are only eligible for the M.Arch I. M.Arch I's come in different flavors, with some of them only admitting those with a background in design, and other admitting from all walks of life, but in general unless they are a continuous 4+2 program, they start at a more basic level than the M.Arch II students, who are expected to know more upon entry.

Sep 10, 12 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

I've always wondered about teaching and if Universities differentiate between the two when hiring?

Sep 10, 12 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

my impression is that, generally, an Msc in ARch or Ms.Arch signals a skills-centred post prof degree; i.e. the focus is on acquiring the aptitude for the methodologies and techniques concerned, be they in computing, sustainability or even theory (MIT's SMarchS - Masters of Science- in history thoery and criticism for ex).

MArch2 is studio/project centred. There would be buttressing courses but the essence of the program would be that of a central design...its almost like the last year of the professional M.Arch 1 (or B.Arch) course and i believe sometimes, its almost exactly like that.

Sep 11, 12 12:50 am  · 
 · 
Ahdgins

@tammuz

thanks a lot!! that was helpful...

so if i want to opt for a more design centered course it would be better to go for an m arch? coz i really want to focus on developing my design skills right now...

MIT for example has ms in architectural design and so does columbia... so will these courses be more studio centric or will they still be based on the theoritical aspect of designing or more research oriented

Sep 14, 12 10:12 am  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

MS usually will be more research based unless its subfocus is design skills.  From what I've observed at least.

Sep 14, 12 11:25 am  · 
 · 
sharanpreet

Hello Everyone!!!

I am planning of doing masters in Sustainable architecture. When i chk some universities i come to know there is a programn name Masters of architecture science (audio and acoustic sustainable design) and soo on. I don't understand the meaning of Masters of architecture science. 

Can any one tell me what is the difference between them Masters of energy efficient and sustainable building or Masters of architecture science.

Thanx

Jun 27, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Does it matter?

They are both Masters that won't let you get licensed.

Jun 27, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: