Archinect
anchor

how to make a mesh in RHINO?

RAArch

and i mean a real mesh. im trying to model a perf metal panel. first i modeled it as solid and applied a material thru the rendering. didn't like that. now im overlaying the 2d drawing on top of the surface and cutting the holes. but this is making my model slow down to a halt.

does anyone know a better way to get the result im looking for?

thanks

Apr 28, 07 1:41 pm
garpike

Seems your render mesh settings may be high for the perforated surface. You can control this while still keeping your renderings crisp by defeating the render mesh settings.

Literally make a mesh out of your perforated surface.

1. After you get your surface the way you like it, type mesh. Start by sliding the bar too the left. Hit ok. This may take a minute. I just meshed a surface with 900 holes in it and it took about 2 minutes.

2. Once it is finished, drop your surface in another layer and turn it off so you can inspect the mesh with shaded surface on. It is probably pretty bad. So delete it and and mesh the surface again. Or just hit undo a few times...

3. Type mesh and this time slide the bar one notch over - a little bit goes a long way. This will take even longer, so grab a coffee.

Once it looks good in shaded view, check in wireframe to see if there are enough segments making up the holes (if round).

If you are working in shaded view, this will speed things up, but it may conversely slow wire frame a bit.

Good luck.

Apr 28, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

oh garpike, you're a lifesaver. its amazing as much as i think i know about rhino, i learn something new everyday. polysurfaces be damned!

thanks.

Apr 28, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

garpike, one more question...what have you found is the best way to cut holes in a surface? as i said im taking a surface and laying the 2d dwg on top of it and trimming. sometimes i get weird results. can you recommend a better way?

thanks

Apr 28, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yeah, in one view (probably top view?) select the surface and type split. Then select all of the curves and hit enter (or I like spacebar). Wait a minute. You usually get better results when the surface is being trimmed all at once.

*If you do this the curves do not have to be projected o the surface.

Sometimes I get a little shard shooting across a hole. This is ok. It is only the render mesh and nt the actual surface (what is real these days?...). To get rid of it, use the method of meshing above until it goes away.

Apr 28, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Once split, deselect the part you want to keep. (Deselecting trick: hold control and selet the surface. It's the opposite of shift.)

Then delete the bits.

Apr 28, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

ah, i wondered what that "thing" was shooting across the surface, once again, thank you.

Apr 28, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

No problem.

Apr 28, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: