Archinect
anchor

4feet render for billboard

mauOne™

hello

i wanted to ask for some advice on calculating the resolution for a Render requested for a 4feet X 4feet billboard

thanks

m1

Apr 26, 07 2:21 pm
quixotica

i'm not sure what you mean by that. are you asking what you would need to scan something in at at a certain resolution to get a decent sized resolution (say 300) at 4' X 4' ?

A kind of cool thing you might want to try that is free is to go here.

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

this will let you upload an image anysize and they will turn it into any size image yuo want, you can then print it out in tiles and assemble it on site.

Apr 26, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

sorry if i was not clear on my posting

i need to render the image on MAX

thanks

m1

Apr 26, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I'm not exactly sure what res to use. But, for reviews, I render at 150 DPI, but that's people getting close. If people are going to be, say, 30 feet from your image, i bet you could render at 100 DPI and the distance will blur it. Can you do some tests? Render at say 72, 100, 150, but print them all the same size, then stand back and see where it looks ok?

Apr 26, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Go to the render option in max. Go to the dpi section... Click on the lock icon so the height changes in proportion to the width. Then type in a large number such as 5000 or so. I've rendered very decent large images like 3'x3' at 4000. But the only problem is that you have to keep it chewing over night. And for those type of images I use a computer that is hooked up to 4 rendering nodes and use the finalRender plugin.

5000 should be just fine for you. It might take all day, so make sure you find something else to get bust with.

Apr 26, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

It all depends on the dpi of the output you want.

48"x48" @ 100dpi = 4800 x 4800 pixels

48"x48" @ 200dpi = 9600 x 9600 pixels

48"x48" @ 300dpi = 14 400 x 14 400 pixels

Apr 26, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I can't imagine you would ever need to render at 300dpi. I never render above 150dpi and when plotted you can't see any pixelation. I bet a 4 foot render, if viewed from a distance would look perfectly fine at 100dpi. Do some small test plots, that's the only way to be sure.

Apr 26, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I would contact a/the printer - you dont need to generate anything like a 4'x4' image @300dpi. That kind of image would be a couple of Gig's at least.

Apr 26, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

You don't render at any dpi at all. You simply render a certain number of pixels.

You print at a dpi of your choosing. 100dpi would be fine for a big, vivid poster, or a single image. 150 or 200dpi should be fine for a reasonable amount of detail. If you have text below 10pt, you're probably going to want 200dpi or 300dpi. 600dpi or 1200dpi is what books are printed in.

All depends on how much detail you have.

Apr 26, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
mental

4000 x 4000 should be fine, i render 24 x 36 images at 2400 x 3600 and they come out flawless.

Apr 26, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

seriously, something that size has no need to be over 100 dpi. 50 would probably work in most situations. I'd shoot for 72 and see how long it takes/ how big the file is.

Apr 26, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

thanks everyone

someone just told me that they don't print billboards over 100dpi
so i think thats great

i had the wrong impression though, i thought that something printed larger needed lots of dpi

how does it work anyway?, they print on regular plotters i hear

thanks again

m1

Apr 26, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Really big printer.

The dots per inch is very low for billboards. A higher density of pixels is needed as the viewer gets closer to an image. But as a viewer moves a away from an image, less inforation is needed to construct an image. Even magazines are printed at only 133 lpi (lines per inch).

A big billboard at 50 dpi is probably plenty, like manamana said.

When my sister asked me to put air in her bike tires I asked how much pressure, and she asked how much is in my tires. I said 110 psi (road bike) so she said to put 300 in. We were quite young.

Apr 28, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: