Archinect
anchor

I'll take AutoCAD 2000 for $800 Alec (please help!)

PetePeterson

Just started my summer tenure in an office and they've dusted off the old boat anchor with ACAD 2000 sans express tools for me. Nothing like going to the old cad throwback after a year at school on the laptop w/ 2007 everything.....

The scrolling on this thing is retarded. I mean that literally. Zooming in and out in paper space is a serious finger workout and is really slowing me down. Tried messing with XP mouse settings... Tried other mice.... nothing changes in ACAD.
Please help!!! I am going insane.....

Bonus question: would it be completely unreasonable for me to suggest working on my own laptop in the office? I just started and I don't want to seem like a jackass by bringing it up, but it would really boost my productivity....

Apr 25, 07 12:59 pm
work for idle hands

why is zooming in and out in paper space specifically difficult?..model space isn't?

obviously z + space bar for zooming in and out...not sure what else you're asking.

i'd ask for a new mouse first one thing, and inquire as to why express tools aren't used (no express tools is very inconvienient). communication in an inquisitive and not demanding way is the best thing you can do.

otherwise i would wait a while before suggesting using your own equipment. Use their's for a while and then if its still seeming very unproductive you'd be able to suggest the alternative with actual reference to something. That's my advice. If it makes you feel any better i and probably a lot of us here have taken new jobs with older/alternative software, equimpment, etc. than we were previously used to. It sucks, but you get used to it.

Apr 25, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

sorry i meant zooming in model space... not paper

the provided me with a new mouse yesterday... no change

it just seems to be something specific to 2000... I plugged my mouse into another workstation w/ 2002 and it worked great... leads me to believe there is something going on with 2000 and the scroll wheel zooming....

Apr 25, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

could be wrong but i don't think scroll wheel zomming was introduced until after version 2000. R14 definitely didn't have it.

Apr 25, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

MBUTTONPAN = 1

not sure if it was introduced in 2000 or 2002..

but worth a shot.

Apr 25, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
postal

try typing in zoomfactor

Apr 25, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

very cool postal. never knew about that. (prob cause every comp ive ever worked with had it at a reasonable number)

Apr 25, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

oh, and as for using your own laptop, i assume that like most students you probably have a version of acad that was acquired for less than the full retail price. even if it's a legal student version your firm could get in trouble if they were found out to be using it for production. if I were your boss I would have to put my foot down.

if all you're doing is 2d drafting you should try talking your boss into buying acad LT. it's cheap and will do what you need.

Apr 25, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

that's it!
Thanks so much postal

Apr 25, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

hey postal thanks for zoomfactor. this totally improved my zeichnfegnugen

Apr 25, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
postal

glad to be of some assistance...

but man, living without express tools is tough...

aliasedit, burst, breakline, all those layer tools...that sucks, you have my sympathy... tell your boss to pony up

Apr 25, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
+i

someone post a youtube of snl's version of jeopardy...

Alex Trebeck:"let's go to Sounds an Animal Makes for $600"
(Sean Connery buzzes in)
AT: "Mr. Connery"
Sean Connery: "Moo"
AT: "No"
SC: "Well that's the sound your mother made last night"

Apr 25, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I think the question was "Sounds a dog makes."

Apr 25, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
+i

exactly

Apr 25, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
+i

"write a number any number is fine"

Apr 25, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

connery: "buckfutter!"

trebek: "ok, i have no idea what that means."

connery: "oh, i'm sure you do, trebek!"

Apr 25, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Alec??

Apr 25, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

and sorry, yes, autocad 2000 sucks! big ones! i worked in a small office a short while ago and that's what we used. i got used to it, though. but yeah, zooming was always kind of a pain in the ass.

· 
Jonas77

y aren't you using RHinoceros 4?

· 
mdler

make sure you save down to 2000...

Apr 25, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i don't zoom. i draw everything from the same vantage point, but i have a little loupe on a string that hangs off the front of my display.

i hold it up to the place where i need to *zoom* and voila, problem solved.

Apr 25, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

even intellicad 2006 is better

Apr 25, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

even? IntelliCAD 06 is brill.

Apr 25, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i would love to see a traditional CAD shootout.

Apr 26, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

SC: It must be my lucky day! I will take "the rapist" for 400 Alex
AT: That's therapist

Apr 26, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
+i

postneo- that made me laugh, thanks ;)

Apr 26, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
+i
gohereforsnl
Apr 26, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: