Archinect
anchor

freakin' acad

njp

i'm the only one here in my studio with nobody to ask but yourselves...

this had never happened before until now:
when i try to open an acad file from my file menu, it won't allow me and prompts me on the command line to do so. i tried restarting my pc, but the problem is still exists.

someone help, please. deadline tomorrow!

Apr 24, 07 5:20 pm
Jonas77

download Rhinoceros v4 eval, if you can finish in under 21 saves you got it made.

Apr 24, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i don't know exactly and i've never ran into that problem but if you're desperate...do a repair

control panel--->add/remove programs--->pick acad---->click change--->reinstall/repair

Apr 24, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Not so fast.

Before reinstalling AutoCAD, reformatting your HD, or taking any other drastic measures, type FILEDIA at the command line and make sure the value is set to "1".

Also, if you're opening a drawing and it asks for the full path at the command line, entering "~" at the first prompt should bring up the dialogue box.

Let me know if this works.

Apr 24, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
njp

you saved me, living in gin, it worked...

I LOVE ARCHINECT!!!

Apr 24, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i looked up filedia and it looks like that will work...let us know

Apr 24, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No problem.... The FILEDIA variable is set to 1 by default, but it may inadvertently get changed to 0 if you're running any scripts or plug-ins.

Apr 24, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
groundhog day

and i never heard of this til a few days ago ..

now can someone tell me how to make the discussion page open with all threads (i don't like it segregated)

Apr 24, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Set your bookmark to: http://archinect.com/forum/ or click where it says "Click here to view all categories simultaneously"

Apr 24, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

there's a link near the top that says..."Click here to view all categories simultaneously."

Apr 24, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

ahh LiG...quicker on the draw even with your fancy red type.

Apr 24, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah i'm too lazy to click the button, maybe i'm used to the old look .. so i did the bookmark thing

one weird cad variable i never knew was 'PLINEGEN'

when i'd change the pline to hidden or dash/dot the end points wouldn't be solid lines (if that makes sense), so i eventually figured out PLINEGEN had been set to '0' - changed it back to '1'. freakin' acad

Apr 24, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what does any of this have to do with Architecture?

Apr 24, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

it would be great if we knew who the hall monitors were, so that when we needed a pass to discuss something non-architectural, we'd know who to ask.

Apr 24, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

thats' a bloody good catch. I've had that happen to me before and had to do this "change format" thing with my files which basically resaves them loosing the name, changes etc

thanks for the heads up LiG

Apr 24, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
njp

hey vado, LiG, answered an important acad question of mine, allowing me to to continue working on my "Architecture" project.

for me this is completely relevant to architecture with a big freakin "A".

Apr 24, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
njp

...that's why i posted in the hardware/software section.

Apr 24, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado's just being a smart-ass, njp.

Long ago (when I worked in a real office) there was a thread here on "autocad tricks you may not know". I loved that thread.

Apr 26, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
aml

while we're on autocad, anybody heard anything about vista pluggins for autocad 2007?

i've done the searches, downloaded the thingie ppl recommend. after a few clicks, my autocad 2007 collapses.

everybody says 2008 will come vista ready, but 2008 will take a couple of months before it gets to me

any particular tricks to make 2007 work on vista, oh wise cad monkeys? thanks.

Apr 26, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Can't help you there. I wouldn't touch Vista with a barge pole.

Apr 26, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

me either. even MS admitted the failure of Vista

with 90% reduction in performance with OpenGL

sure I could install the activeX plugin to be vista capable but i would rather put the new hack for activeX 10 in 2003 or XP if was was to go that route.

not sure I would even take it if I got one of those 3$ developing country copies they are trying to hoist on people.

Apr 26, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
aml

yes, the plugin thing. that was what i installed and didn't work.

i'm stuck with vista in one computer, have another computer with xp so i use that for all my non vista ready stuff. it's been ok so far but i haven't really tested it with the big programs since i still need to get the vista versions.

jonas77, since i actually am in one of those developing countries, that's pretty much the source of a big chunk of my software.

after my previous post, i actually found a way to get 2008. i'll be installing it on the vista computer and keeping 2007 on xp. thanks for the input.

Apr 26, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: