Archinect
anchor

indesign - how do you insert/merge pgs between files?

Urbanist

I'm at a loss to figure out how to do this... I need to merge the pages from two different inDesign files into one file... anybody have any idea?

Thanks!

Apr 15, 07 2:35 pm
sparch

go to File
and create "book" or something
that will merge two documents

I don't have InDesign with me right now
so i can't tell you exactly

or.. you can creat PDFs from two different files
and merge them together in acrobat

Apr 15, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

hmm... I know how to merge PDFs, but I really would like to merge the actual idd files, effectively bringing in spreads from one file into another. There's no "book" option in any menu or submenu in "File" for CS2. The help files reference a "Book Palette" but I can't find it.

Apr 15, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

1. Open both files
2. Open up the pages tab (you can do this under the window menu if it's not open already)
3. Drag a page from the pages tab into the grey space between pages in the other file.

Hope that helps. There's probably more ways to do it too.

Apr 15, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

book is under file -> new -> book

I've never used that though

Apr 15, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Thanks.. I've been trying to drag between the pages tab, as Jank suggested, but the two tabs always appear in exactly the same place, even if the two files are tiled.. the problem applies even if I detach the tab and move it to another location (it simply copies the move in the other file.. same problem.. so that I physically can't figure out how to do the drag and drop. I'm using CS2 in Windows.

I'll try the book method. Sorry to ask such stupid questions.. I'm an indesign noob... :)

Apr 15, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

Right, only the active file has visible tabs.

You can't drag into the tab, you have to drag into the actual workspace. In the grey area between the pages.

Apr 15, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Thanks!

Apr 15, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: