Archinect
anchor

3D modeling software for large scale urban design

atsama

Hi all -

Trying to expand my firm's 3D software collection, particularly with a program that can handle very large scale projects for urban design work (i.e. campuses, whole neighborhoods, towns).
We are using sketchup for this sort of thing now, but you can only go so far with that program, and the rendering options are limited.

Any suggestions? I havent used Rhino in a few years, since v. 2.0. Are the newer versions better at handling large models without crashing?

Apr 13, 07 1:36 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I believe so.

See RHINO

Apr 13, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
crazycg

We can help you,sir
www.crazy-cg.com

Apr 13, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

oh sorry atsama, I THOUGHT you were looking for software to utilize YOURSELVES in your office. Not for outsourced services!

my apologies

Apr 13, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

You CRAZY

Apr 13, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Just use sketchup for the modelling. It's very good for big things like that. Rhino is also decent but the bigger your model gets, the more slowdown is likely to occur. If you want to render, export it into 3ds max. It would look solid.

Apr 13, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mental

i dont think the software is gonna matter much if you dont have a machine that can handle large models..........i suggest at least a machine with dual-dual core procs and 4 gigs of ram and try a g-card like an nvidia quadro fx 4500, or get two and run them in sli mode. for large models, the main problem is simply viewing them on the screen in real time, so dont go cheap on the graphics card.

Apr 13, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Doing large projects also requires you to be clever about how much detail you are showing etc. But getting a machine that can handle large models is the #1 ingredient. Just getting a better graphics card will improve things a lot for you.

Apr 13, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

autocad

Apr 14, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Sketchup up is good for urban modelling (specially if large scales) ... u can export ur model to 3dsmax or any other advanced rendering softwares. Autocad is also good in modelling but it's very dull ... sketchup is more representing and more good looking.

Apr 14, 07 4:27 am  · 
 · 
khmay

do not use sketchup for serious urban landscapes. as you probably know, it'll get to a point quite quickly where it's unusable. i'd recommend a type of a bim modeler where you can build the city in chunks and reference each into a master file to use for rendering

and your model wont look like someone sketchedup all over it

Apr 14, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 

since when is sketch up more than just a modeller? Model in sketch up, render in something else. But take the advice on the RAM and graphics card (granted i'm yet to find a graphics card that doesn't stick) so my advice would be plan ahead and have interim views saved in a viewing format even if its html.

d

Apr 14, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
garpike

We can help you, sir

A latest works,the inspired from a oil painting named water lily of Monet .

Apr 14, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

yup, display card and ram is critical, even i have 4 gigs of ram and nvidia quadro fx 4500, i still have to be very economical on the scene, and i have to close all program and go to command prompt for rendering.

Apr 14, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: