Archinect
anchor

color issues w hp1055c

greenlander1

i just got a hp 1055 and am trying to figure out the color thing w the plotter. im not v well versed w computers but the colors always come out v green and somewhat pukey looking. kind of like when you take photos of nighttime interiors w flourescent lighting. always a lot colder and flatter than what is on the screen. for example i can never get any 'hot' colors like orange red or yellow to not have a strong tinge of green/grey/brown.

i also have a hp deskjet 3650 connected to the same computer. a small 8.5 x 11 printer and the colors seem to like fine.

im figuring its some setting or maybe missing a driver.

any help would be much appreciated!

Apr 11, 07 4:35 pm
greenlander1

anyone? on another note i was wondering whether there was a difference in color quality btw jpg and tif
and saving images in rgb or cymk...

Apr 11, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
AP

well, we have one of those 1055's at work, and i can't stand it. the color never looks great. if we use photo paper it looks better, but still not fantastic.

tif > jpg

sorry, that's all I have tonight.

Apr 11, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

We have those at school. I have found that they do not support printing at very high resolutions. No matter how much you tweak and adjust the settings, your prints will always look like crap. If it's not too late, return the HP and get yourself an Epson.

Apr 12, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 
med.

You should also set your print preferences in the output menu to "RGB Composite" rather than the defaulted "CMYK Color"

I'm sure that
s what's causing your problem.

Apr 12, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
jsml

our school has the 1055's as well.. i don't know why they keep getting them because the color.. is as noted above... terrrrrible.

i will have to try the tiff trick. but what exactly is RGB composite? is this within the photoshop/illustrator printer output, or somewhere else?

thanks for the tips though. with two semesters left maybe i can get a quality print!!

Apr 12, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

archmed

in hp1055 'properties'
in 'color management'
under 'default color profile'
it says 'sRGB color profile'

in ho1055 printing preferences
i dont see anything in way of choosing btw
rgb and cymk

there are other options like

'halftoning' - scatter, pattern, cluster
'color control' -vivid color, match screen (current default), no color correction, user defined color correction

any thoughts?

Apr 12, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

greenlander, make sure you're using Adobe In Design. That is where you can find that color preset. It's in the output menu to the left of the print prompt menu.

Just don't print from a PDF or photoshop. That's what will give you the strange colors.

Apr 12, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

oh...never heard of that one before.
i need to get in design then...
thanks though
and what if i have an already done pdf brought into in design?
if i change the output will it come out alright?

Apr 13, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 

More than likely, you are trying to print an RGB image on a plotter, which is inherently CMYK (without RIP software). I remember vividly trying to get this resolved in school.

In the Driver: Go to properties, printing preferences, options, color control, switch to manual, and try no color correction.

If that does not work, here are some quick Google finds:

Why do my mono line drawings have a green or purple tint to them?

In all printers, if there is a problem with the black printhead, the print firmware tries to create a composite black from the other colours. In Designjet 500 / 800 series printers this comes out as a green / dark brown. In other Designjets it comes out as a dark blue/purple. When this happens the first thing to do is to Clean the black printhead. simply take a lint free cloth moisten with warm bottled or deionised water (or a PC wipe impregnated with IPA) and wipe the printhead till clean. On older Designjets you may also have to prime the printhead using the plunger assembly.

Why do blues sometimes come out as purple?

This Problem is to do with the Printer colour Map controlled through the driver., If the fault is in the driver you can tell the driver to print in pure black in COLOUR CONTROL under the OPTIONS tab in the driver dialogue box in FAXES AND PRINTERS. If you need to have colour as well as black, then again under COLOUR CONTROL set the colour correction to MANUAL and tick the no colour correction circle. If the printer still prints blue as purple then the problem is in the firmware which can be updated by clicking on SUPPORT in the left hand column of our web site or by opening system maintenance from the services tab of your Designjet driver (selected printers only). On selected models the colour maps have recently been upgraded to help with this problem.

Try these. Also...

General HP 1055 Support
http://h41186.www4.hp.com/country/us/en/support/1055CM-PLUS.html?pageseq=668733

HP 1000 Series Support Forum
https://h41186.www4.hp.com/country/us/en/forums/tree_display.html?forum_id=18&pageseq=668743

HP 1000 Series Color Accuracy
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bpp02464#N10020

Apr 13, 07 3:56 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

ive turned off the color correction.
i think its made a difference but im not entirely sure.
the colors seem to look less sickly green
either way ive been on hp support for an hr
aargh...

Apr 13, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: