Archinect
anchor

Autodesk Maya, where can i it w/o selling an organ?

1deviantC

Does the student version of Maya the same as the regular $7K version? What are the differences? Anyone know where i can get a copy of it (I found it on Studica for $300)...jsut wondering if any of you guys have found it for cheaper somewhere else...thanks!

Apr 10, 07 2:56 pm
difficultfix

you can get it for like 3 bills

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/quick_search.html?qks=1&qk_srch=MAYA

Apr 10, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

but cheaper then 3 I dont think I have seen it cheaper

Apr 10, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

free on the net for personal use under the new European laws.

Apr 10, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

ever heard of Bittorrent?

Apr 10, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/30/1849206

and this new today..

no more being spied on by bosses, these are human rights issues.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/10/1810256

Apr 10, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

seriously, just pirate it of you want it. MAYA is basically passe anyways.

-andrew

Apr 10, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Did evil Autodesk take away the fabulous free license for home use?

Apr 10, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

You can get the Maya 7.0 Personal Learning Edition for free from Autodesk. It leaves a watermark on your prints and you probably can't export stuff I imagine but you can learn how to use it.

Apr 10, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
noci

why do you think it's passé, andrew?

max

Apr 11, 07 5:16 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

yes i am curious too how can it be passé if it was never in style for architecture in the first place? I know/knew it well from school and never would I think it could have any use in the building technology industry where a certain accuracy, annotation and, well basically other stuff it can't do like easily export elsewhere to consultants etc would be a need.

Apr 11, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
rabbits

Maya was essentially a greg lynn fad based on notions of "morphing" which were derived from the film industry. Jonas77, yeah, you are right, we all learned it in school and found it to be useless for the exact reasons you mentioned. Its good for animations and making "blobitecture circa 1999" but it has little use beyond that, with the exception being rendering with maya vector, which is awesome. And yes, the notion of "animated" architecture is problematic since it enforces a linear, "progress-based" process, how do you stop?, etc, etc. But really, MAYA is just a waste of time. Modeling in MAYA makes about as much sense as drafting in Illustrator. Possible, but pointless. Want to do NURBS shit? Rhino4. Animate stuff? MAX. Do weird generative stuff? Microstation. Scripting? RhinoScript rules. And all these have what is next to impossible to achieve in MAYA: PRECISION. And the MAYA interface just sucks. Command line 4 life.

Ok, that was a bit polemical, I apologize, but you guys asked. ha.

-andrew

Apr 11, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

rabbits, have you played with Bongo? For non Morph/IK stuff it is just what i need, brings me back to the days of 3ds4... ahhh

Apr 11, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

is it true that Maya is the main program used at SCI ARC? These arguments/points of Maya I have heard before but if its the main program used by the students there shouldnt i follow suit? or would it be completely dumb for me to adopt usage of rhino instead?

Apr 11, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

Just pirate it.

-andrew

Apr 11, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

if you follow any of my other posts I was am not a student of architecture

Animation and Multi-Media is my degree.
maya wasn't the main program max was the other choice, but as you note schools then were not teaching Rhinoceros, now they are, mostly in ID, but I am seeing changes in that since v4 is out into the other realms it can be and is good at.

It would be completely wise to adopt usage of Rhinoceros, not that I adopted it I have been using it since it's inception in 97, because it has always offered me the empowerment autodesk has not in certain specific areas and is now all encompassing and serves all my 2d page layout CADD render and animation needs at current.

Apr 11, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
noci

polemics aside--
unfortunately (for myself, as I love Maya) I start to agree with andrew and Jonas.. in the last year or so, as I begun using Rhino more and more, the lack of precision in Maya seriously began to bug me. this is for school, of course, but we all (hopefully..) try to establish workflows we hope to use in the wild, somewhen, somehow, at some point.

my workflow shifted more towards Rhino for precise modelling and drawing generation, leaving Maya in place as a more intuitive free-form modeller and rendering engine. I still believe that texturing, rendering and shading in Maya far surpass Rhino's abilities, but in the end it would be overkill to buy it just for that.

I still haven't tried Rhino 4 (shame on me..) but allegedly it sports a historical dependency tree, much like maya does already (though everything is a node there, not just geometry). if that's really the case, and they did their homework, it'll blow M out of the water. we'll see-- anyone can comment on that?

I have to say though that I believe Maya's interface to be the best in the industry. i.e. used with a wacom tablet it frees you form on-screen GUI clutter and gives you breathtaking speed, something you can't say about Rhino- nothing against the command line, I also like that, but it's a bit cumbersome at times. in the end it's a matter of personal preference..

x
m

Apr 11, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Why do you even need Maya?

This reminds me of some first year guy who is totally losing his shit over using Maya. He doesn't know how to use it which is fine but it's bad when he doesn't NEED to use it for any of the projects his class is working on. I think he just wants to pretend to be cool by saying he can use Maya. The programs that the school offers on their computers are VIZ, Rhino, SketchUP, Cobalt, Artlantis, and a few others. I was trying to tell him that all he needed was VIZ to do what he wanted but typically he wouldn't listen.

I didn't know there is a "main" program that schools use. I'd like to think it's the same everywhere in which faculty encourage any means of executing a project. There is nothing more they hate hearing about the meandering jargon of computer modelling and rendering software.

Apr 11, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

archmed: i was told by the admissions person at sci arc that maya is the main program used...i was also told the same thing by my grad prep studio instructors...i was also told by my GFs sister who is an architect and has many friends who graduated there that Maya is heavily used/encouraged there...

so i don't know maybe these aren't good enough reasons to start learning how to use maya, maybe i want to be that cool guy that says that he can use maya..

any Sci Arc students have any input on this topic? maybe i'll start another thread addressing this issue...

Apr 11, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

The new Texuture stuff made for/with Brazil Maxwell Vray and anybody else who wants to make a render engine in v4 is sweet, no shame on you but for sure give it a go noci! It is us the users who they (mcneel, the worker owned company) listens to and makes it what is it based upon.

personally i really dig the PictureFrame command and the SetObjectsDisplay to help for 2d raster ish.

when it comes to free form modeling they were always on par maya being a little better with patch blending, but not any more they both have T-splines and with the History & the Uniform Deformation tools in Rhinoceros it rock every bodies world I must say.

people power not corporate power less we be colonized/occupied/exploited for the gains of a Plutocratic class

Apr 11, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
med.

okay, well then go for it. If I were you I would just wait until school starts and then learn how to use it. Chances, are you will be able to get a free copy from someone you will make friends with at Sci Arch.

And it wouldn't hurt to make real good driends with the schools IT person.

Apr 11, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

thx archmed...i'm definitely going to take your advice and befriendd the IT person at sci arc =)

Apr 11, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
noci

sounds interesting, Jonas! I'll check it out.

Apr 11, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Good deviant. I did and it paid off in huge dividents. Also, look into getting a GTA position with the IT person if they offer it. Not only will you learn extensively about all the programs, you'll have access to all that stuff whenever you want.

So instead of paying all that money, I would just wait until it becomes necessary for you to use Maya. For now, learn about architecture as much as possible.

Are you going into the 3 year grad program?

Apr 11, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

yea, got into the M. arch 1...woo hoo!

Apr 11, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
lsobol

I have Maya 7.0 (non student version).

If anyone here is in the Manhattan area we can perhaps arrange something...just email me.

May 22, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

=), thats why i changed it...

May 22, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
grid

I like maya. It has a great interface and is user friendly once you get the basics down. I use a mix of rhino and maya for modeling and always enjoy the maya side of things a bit more. It can be frustrating to learn if you do not have a bit of guidance.

Get good at any program and you will be able to do anything your heart desires.

Hate it if you want, but I like it. Yay.

May 22, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: