Archinect
anchor

The NYC Housing Thread

ibizaClubbin

Hey Guys, I'm also looking for a place near Columbia for September - December. The thing is, for the NY/Paris program, theres an organization called NY Habitat that works with Columbia to find us suitable housing. They provide us with 2 options and if we choose to accept either of the two, great, there r no fees we just move in! However, if we decline both of the options, we're on our own. So i've been perusing on their website for housing, i've found some decent places. I get an email from them listing the options...absolutely HORRIBLE!! Not only did they IGNORE my price ceiling of $800/month, they also IGNORED the fact that i wanted to live with someone from the program/other student/person in the same age group. This is also happening to other students entering the program. I dont know why they're offering us the shitty listings, when i can clearly see better ones on their website. Just a big SCAM!!

So i've been looking on the side using craigslist...but so far it's been an anomaly. I've found decent places on the Upper West Side/Morningside Heights/Harlem...i've sent about 20 emails out, i've only gotten 3 responses (1 rejection, 2 waiting for followup). WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!? Is it actually this hard?

Does anyone on here wanna share a place? I'm gonna start a thread...hopefully someone has'nt started one already!!! SCHIZA!!

Jul 20, 07 2:38 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

finding housing in nyc is one of the more difficult things you'll have
to do i believe..especially on manhattan at your price range.
there's hardly anything in the five buroughs for $800 that you'll
want to look at/live in.

Jul 20, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

well im sure there are a ton of people here from NYC but here is my 2 cents.... 800 is doable on Manhattan but not in your area and most likely not with your requirements. there are rent stabilized housing but the waitlist is really long otherwise you will have to start venturing above 125 to find anything decent at that price range. im paying 600 for my place up at washington heights and its big and clean. its a trek down on the 1 train but hey... for a nice 3 bedroom apartment at 600 thats not a big deal. i usually find the more bedrooms ie. more people you share with the cheaper it is.... although it probably wont vary too much. try queens or the bronx out since now brooklyn is getting pricy also... if price dont matter then i would up your budget to around 1200 or 1300 a month for a nice apartment in that area... gooodluck

Jul 20, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

tzenyujuei.
harlem and the upper part of manhattan notwithstanding...as
you said. i did personally find a place for 900 in chinatown..but
i also have four roommates. I agree with the general point
that the more people the better...basically you can't be too picky.

it's amazing what i was seeing for 1300 or so in williamsburg.
i think you can find good housing for cheaper than that, but the
look will take longer.

also i found that in my search i looked at about 700 listings on
craigslist and sent out countless emails. i'd send an email to
every listing you found to be somewhat reasonable...because
being on the other end..we put up a listing on craigslist for a
place on the LES and got probably 200 or so responses in the
three or four days that we had it up.

Jul 20, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
ibizaClubbin

larslarson - there are a LOT of listings out there for $800 and even less on craigslist. U would just be living with ppl. That i dont mind, its just the fact that these craigslisters r'nt getting back to me is what bothers me. Ur prob right, they prob have 200 emails sitting in their inbox and most likely wont get to read them all before they find someone willing to take their place. Craigslist is such a crapshoot!!

tzenyujuei - I've seen some good listings for Washington Heights, but for me its just too far. Not only from Columbia, but from all the action in Lower Manhattan. I have friends that live in Midtown and Soho, to go see them it would prob take 45mins!!

I would prefer somewhere in the vicinity of Central Park West, but i mean, Morningside Heights would be good as well. I'm a little iffy on Harlem. Harlem is made out to be super ghetto, but i've seen some pictures, it looks nice there. Which part of Harlem is the ghetto?

Jul 20, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I thought I'd bump this thread to let everybody know that I need to vacate my dorm room at Columbia by August 11th, so I'm back in the market for a housing situation. My vital stats: Nonsmoker, one cat, can afford up to $850 per month, and I need to be near the 1, A, B, C, D, F, N, Q, R, or W subway lines. I'm pretty low-maintenance, but I like things clean and quiet. I'd be looking to stay for a minimum of six months, possibly longer if things work out. Let me know if you have any leads.

Aug 4, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
adrasteia

Well, I have no leads for you but I'll be arriving in NY in a week and am looking for housing beginning in the first week of September.
Hey I'm clean, don't smoke or do drugs, and I like cats too (although a little allergic).

If anyone has any leads or anyone wants to even share an apartment I'm happy to chat about it.

Aug 21, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 

*bump*

Why is this so difficult? Why do craigslisters always lie about which neighborhood their apartment is in? Why do brokers want a fee and two months deposit on top of the first month's rent? Why can I find nothing in my price range that's not in the middle of nowhere? Why doesn't the water taxi in Red Hook run year round? Why?

Aug 29, 07 1:57 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

reviving a thread...

im relocating to NYC for april for work.
any advice on apartment hunting?

OR, i am taking a stab here... anyone know of a good apartment up for grabs for this period by any chance???
crazy NYC housing search...

i am dreading craigslist. has anyone used a broker before and recommend any? i dont mind living farther from manhatten. preferably brooklyn... anyone?

thanks in advance!

Feb 29, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

i'm getting kicked out of the dorms come may 15th, looking for a place as well.. this whole thing is a nightmare especially with a busy architecture school schedule.

Feb 29, 08 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

i'm bumping this thread.. has anyone ever stayed at University Place, Mcdonald Ave, Kensington area of brooklyn? Whether it's safe to commute at night.. etc

May 22, 10 4:15 am  · 
 · 
housingsearch11

Check out www.apartacus.com

May 31, 10 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: