Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

maybe you were just one of the first to get it

Mar 7, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,...LOL

that was funny...

Best of Luck!

Mar 7, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

maybe it means you somehow got a full ride

Mar 7, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

It means nothing. I am an idiot and forgot that I registered with the housing, almost by accident, so I could see what apartment rents were like in the area. I rediscovered this by looking at my email archives. Sorry everyone, I am embarrassed!

Dear prudence... won't you come out?

Mar 7, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I am thinking sending some flowers to the nice chick at UT. maybe a peom...

Mar 7, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha TN, no worries

Mar 7, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

..maybe a card wih a puppy on it, saying "thank you"..and "to have a super day!"

Mar 7, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

sorry i'm late guys...i've been trying to avoid this thread. but my cynicism needs a home and this is the only place i have to go.

Mar 7, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

cynicism .. you found the right place :)

Mar 7, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

...singing telegrahm perhaps!..Perhaps a nice clown in costume Singing the praises of my portfolio, and brief description of why my GRE verbal score is poor...in song....sent to the admission review board meeting.

Mar 7, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

...who DOESN;T love singing clowns?

Mar 7, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

communists. terrorists. minorities. who do you want answering the phone at 3am when your children are asleep?

Mar 7, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

alright peeps, feels good that i've gave in to the thread. i'm going to drown my sorrows with a walk in the rain through midtown and a few beers. you can expect to hear from me on monday while i'm fighting boredom at work.

....sci-arc or bust

Mar 7, 08 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

Sweet. Just got an acceptance email from USC. I can't remember seeing anyone on this thread that mentioned applying there buy maybe. Only helpful info beyond that is that "in the coming weeks" they will send out hard copies of acceptance letters... Good luck to all over the weekend. Hopefully Monday's mailboxes are stuffed with what we've all been waiting for.

Mar 7, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
ha_no

congrats jazz32x

Mar 7, 08 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
abstraktura

how did you find out you were accepted into USC?

I've been traveling through south america for the past three months, but am back and waiting to hear from Sci-Arc, Columbia, UCLA and USC. I was happy to have a distraction from the wait but this forum makes me antsy!

Mar 7, 08 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
abstraktura

and congrats to all by the way :)

Mar 7, 08 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
abstraktura

shoot...nevermind my question. clearly my head is on vacation still!! hah.

Mar 7, 08 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

thenew - don't know how the harvard real estate office works, but you can easily check out cambridge apartments on craigslist-boston. just search for stuff listed under harvard square or kirkland village. a 1-bed anywhere near harvard sq./gsd is probably going to be around $1500/month - our apt. last year was $1350 and that was a d.e.a.l.

Mar 7, 08 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
jsun

first thin letter came yesterday, no school in D.C. next year.

Mar 8, 08 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Brendan

brendan from fb here. first post on archinect.

applied to parsons, columbia, UT austin, toronto, and VTech for in-state. not a single peep back so far. i had expected at least something this week. just a tease envelope from UT with materials for their summer program.

Mar 8, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Nothing in the mail today - again. Guess it's on to next week.

Mar 8, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

the UVa letter came yesterday. nothing today.

Mar 8, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
brooklyn1

I got into FIT Toy Design today!! It came in the mail! I'm so excited! That asshole in the FIT office who freaked me out yesterday should be fired.

Mar 8, 08 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

congrats brooklyn1!

Mar 8, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

sorry, dont mean to be rude in any way, but toy design?

Mar 8, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Mr. AnthraXxX

I recieved a UIC acceptance letter the other day. Anyone else thinking about Chicagoville/going to the open house (April 4)?

Mar 8, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
hungry

congrats to both of you!

Mar 8, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

Toy design sounds like a lot of fun... a more whimsical position in product design..

Mar 8, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

congrats FIT...!

you win the prize for the most unique degree!

man I wish i could see a portfolio of nothing but toys!

Mar 8, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
brooklyn1

The Toy Design program at FIT is the first of its kind, it's been around 15 years and produced the designers who created Tickle Me Elmo, Polly Pockets, and more. It's basically a highly specialized product design degree. Other perks- it's a state school, 100% job placement at the end of the program, and a profession that's not based on the economy (which is a very nice perk!). It's a great program you should check it out! toydesign.org

It's the only non-arch program I applied to, but I'm leaning towards accepting!

Mar 8, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

I'm suddenly at a bit of a crossroads, whereby I can't decide if I should have applied for Interior Design instead of Architecture. I have no prior experience in either to be honest, but a great appreciation and love for both. :-/

I'm guessing that if I am hypothetically accepted into a school of my choice, transferring to Interior Design at graduate level won't be easy if I decide to...

I just can't decide which I'd rather be doing. I love buildings. Always have. But I have a great love for the interiors as well.

ARGGHHH.

Much as I don't believe in fate, I feel like I'm almost jinxing my chance at acceptance by even discussing this out loud.

Mar 8, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Well it's just text so it's not exactly out loud. This is a grey area for jinxing and I’m not sure it directly applies.

Mar 8, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

No, dont be superstitious, but perhaps some journaling about your truer desires. When it comes to these questions, I always think they are natural.... We have all had them.

I certainly don't think architecture is the end...it is only the beginning.

I woudl go for it...remember...it is easier to explore Interior Design from an Architecture Degree, rather than the other way around.

There is no word for the career i seek...but Architecture will do , for now.

Mar 8, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

hey chopsky, i just graduated with an interior design degree from Parsons. hit me up if you want to know more about it.

Mar 8, 08 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
redward

im new, just found this discussion tonight----applied M.Arch, graduating with a BSAS this may from the midwest.
heard from UVa, and WashU.....
waiting on Yale
does anyone know if UVa expects people to pay their way out to the open house on march31 (i'd expect so, but just in case)---

Mar 9, 08 4:08 am  · 
 · 
thenew

on E! this would be the 'boring-est week ever'

Mar 9, 08 4:22 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

redward- the letter didn't state anything about travel reimbursement, so i think we're supposed to pay for it. i'll be there along with some other people from this thread.

Mar 9, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

is it bad if you haven't heard from parsons or pratt yet?

I reaaaaallllly need to get into those two schools, or atleast one of them. I'm getting really anxious, it's annoying the hell out of me :(

Mar 9, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I applied to Pratt too...I dont think anyone's heard. They said by March 15 but the general census is they are very unorganized in admissions there.

Dont sweat it...

Mar 9, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

ive heard from neither. then again, im an international student so may take longer.

Mar 9, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

to be honest, I think we're all panicing just a LITTLE too much. It really looks like 1% of admission letters have been received. Just give it a couple weeks at least and everyone will hear back.

Mar 9, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I have a theory that only about 10% tops, of applicants post results on here...so I think you can interpolate, based on that.

Mar 9, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

so you're saying a lot of people have their results?

Mar 9, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

well, I am saying that IMHO, i think that the school that have some of the schools that we have seen on here that have "sent out" or called their acceptees are pretty well on their way....for instance , how many chimed in when thy got into UVA...out of 45 total or whatever,...

..I keep holding out hope for UT, myself....

maybe i totally worng, i dunno.

...this will be a interesting week though

Mar 9, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I need a wes translation of my transcripts yet for Pratt. They told me last week my application is incomplete ....

I will need at least, 1 week more to send them that.

WELL.....

Mar 9, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Not sure how old this is but Pratts website says it is still accepting applications for the post-professional architecture program until all spaces are filled...

www.pratt.edu/newsite/index.php?group_id=87&news_id=423#

Mar 9, 08 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

another in the WashU boat here... I think that makes about 6 of us and if ff33 is right.... eh, about 60 admitted?

shame about the registration fee for the open house. Especially because Wash U is the only school I applied to that I wouldn't commit to sight unseen and I'll be going for sure.

I've a feeling that the Las Vegas to (outside) St. Louis move would be a strange one... LA or Philly even seem less traumatic. crazy still not having control of where I'll live next fall.

Mar 10, 08 1:38 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

ultraslick - you're the only person i've heard of (other than me) that's applying to lawrence tech. what have you heard back from them? i've been accepted and gotten their scholarship package i need to fill out. i'm just curious how much money they actually end up distributhing - i'm hoping they're going to give me some funds...

obviously the choice is pretty easy between ltu and umich...

happy monday... this time change is killing me.

Mar 10, 08 8:56 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

wooohooo! just got an email acceptance to nc-state. this mnday is not looking so bad after all!

Mar 10, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: