Archinect
anchor

Digital Project - Gehry Technologies

laurilan

so our office has been using digital project for a little over a year now. and i'm personally a fan.

however, we've had some issues when trying to produce cd's (for obvious reasons - dp is not really supposed to be used for this). specifically when it comes to annotation - and extracting drawings into autocad.

does anyone have any experience out there with producing cds? or is everyone basically using this as BIM only for their buildings?

Mar 28, 07 2:18 pm
laurilan

yeah - and that was known going in, but being one of the first (and a relatively small firm) in the area - we don't necessarily have access to mep/contractors that are on top of this technology. plus the client is the state... so they're even further behind..,

revit couldn't handle the project we were/are doing. the form was too complicated.

ultimately, digital project is not very efficient right now for any of our other projects. but i hate to see us drop it because of the complications of producing cds. i think it's a pretty powerful tool and that we're slightly ahead of the game at this point and it might help us.

i guess that's kind of why i was asking if anyone else had any solutions working with it beyond modeling.

Mar 28, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
MadAnt

:)

i think it is pretty late for a response..

hope you got over the problem eventually.

have been using digital project for sometime now..

could you clarify exactly what u meant by production of cds..

also were u usingd V1R2 version ?

Aug 25, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
outed

laurilan,

can't say from direct experience, but when jim glymph was in town a couple of years ago, he said that gehry's office was using dp up to a point and then transfering down to autocad. they had to create a script or some kind of translation program to do it - not sure exactly what it involved.

can you not contact gt directly and see what they recommend?

Aug 25, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

this may not be the right thread for it, but i would be curious to know how many constuction companies are using BIM. anyone who has worked for an office that has by-passed cd-s with a contractor, would you mind name dropping the gc you were working with? how did that work with subs? was the steel fabricator using BIM? the curtain waller? i'd love to hear how integrated this process is. any info or anecdotes would be much appreciated.

Aug 25, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
MadAnt

the reason why i asked regarding what exactly you meant by cd production is as of version v1r3 digital project does have extensive dwg/dxf impor and export features along with drawing generation capabilities along with the existing CATDrawing format.

though the exact capabilities would depend on ur exact license (Designer, viewer, project manager etc.)

Aug 25, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: