Archinect
anchor

Comp Specs Poll

postal

So, I'm Revitting away here and this model is getting a little clunky and it got me thinkin...

What does everybody else use at their firms? Like a salary poll for equipment...

Processor:
Ram:
Brand:
What software do you use most often?
Type of firm: (Corp, Boutique, etc.)
Any other special things: (Rendering Card, Dual Monitors, etc.?)
Are you satisfied? Or do you want to throw it out the window?

Anyways, just thought I'd ask while I'm saving to central...

Mar 21, 07 6:14 pm
postal

My specs:

Processor: Pentium D 3.4

Ram: 3.5 G

Brand: Dell Optiplex

What software do you use most often? Revit and Acad

Type of firm: Corporate

Any other special things: No, (I'm supposed to get an extra monitor in a month, though)

Satisfied: I guess since I have one of the fastest in the office I shouldn't be complaining, but I'm not sure I'll be enough at the end of this project.

Mar 21, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Processor: 2 (dual core) 2.8 GHz
Ram: 2.00 GB of Ram
Brand: Dell Optiplex Gx620
What software do you use most often? Autocad, Adobe Suite, Some Rhino
Type of firm: (Corp, Boutique, etc.) Small Commercial
Any other special things: (Rendering Card, Dual Monitors, etc.?) 22" widescreen format monitor (by dell); All in Wonder X1900 Vid Card (with onboard processor)
Are you satisfied? Or do you want to throw it out the window? Eh...it's not bad, but sometimes (when rendering) i need more juice!

Mar 21, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Processor: (2) 2.4 GHz, dual core
Ram: 2GB
Brand: Dell Precision 390
What software do you use most often? AutoCAD, Sketchup, Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office
Type of firm: (Corp, Boutique, etc.)? erm, somewhere in between
Any other special things: (Rendering Card, Dual Monitors, etc.?) DVD-R, USB ports both on the front of my tower and on my monitor, NVidia Quadro FX video card w/ 256MB onboard RAM
Are you satisfied? Or do you want to throw it out the window? I occasionally still want to throw it out the window. Illustrator brings it to its knees in 6 seconds flat.

Mar 21, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace
Processor:

P4 2.4 gHz

Ram: 1 GB w/ 1.5 GB dedicated paging

Brand: Dell Inspiron 5100

What software do you use most often? Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Bridge (with stock Photos), acad 2k6, 3ds max 7

Type of firm: (Corp, Boutique, etc.) Student!

Any other special things: (Rendering Card, Dual Monitors, etc.?) Mobility Radeon 7500c - not so special

Are you satisfied? Or do you want to throw it out the window? You'd be suprised...since I don't render too often, this works out pretty well. the desktop-type processor and laptop cooler keep it chugging along. my system sounds paltry compared to the other listed above, but I can't complain (yet).

Mar 21, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

l8r- for some reason, my Dell Inspiron 8600 does a better job with the Adobe products than the machine I spec'd above does. No problems in Illustrator on that one, so I understand completely!

Mar 21, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

Processor: (2) 2.66 GHz, dual core
Ram: 2 GB
HD: 250 gig 10,000 rpm
Brand: Mac Pro
Software: AutoCAD, Adobe CS2, Form Z
Others: 20" Apple Cinema Display

more RAM is on the way for renderings, but what 3-4 hours on my P4 3.0 gets done in about 10 minutes.

Mar 21, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

Ram: 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Brand: Apple iMac

What software do you use most often? Vectorworks 12.5, Firefox, Adobe Acrobat Pro and Illustrator CS2, Artlantis, MS Office, Cyberduck, Parallels (To run KCL CAD)

Type of firm: Boutique Commercial/Hospitality Design

Any other special things: Me, I'm special.

Are you satisfied?: Mostly. I enjoy the fine display resolution and the 21" isn't so bad. i find it a little clunky when viewing large pdf files. perhaps that's because of Rosetta, and that'll be solved once all softwares are written in UniBi.

Mar 21, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Processor:
Core Duo 2.13ghz

Ram:
2.00 GB of Ram

Brand:
HP Laptop nx9420, ATI x1600 256mb RAM, 17 inch screen

What software do you use most often?
Autocad 2007, Adobe Suite, Rhino 2.0, 3D Viz 2007

Type of firm: (Corp, Boutique, etc.) Developer, Corporate

Any other special things: (Rendering Card, Dual Monitors, etc.?)
20" Widescreen HP monitor - so I can have a dual monitor setup but rarely use it.

Are you satisfied? Or do you want to throw it out the window?
Very satisfied, but you can never have too much speed.

Mar 21, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Arjun Bhat

Processor: 2.16 ghz core two duo
ram: 2gb
Brand: Alienware m5500 laptop

software: 3dmax, adobe suite, AutoCAD

firm: in grad school

others: 1920 x 1200, 15.4" screen, nvidia geforce 7600 GT 256mb GPU

satisfaction: its fine, but i've been having random problems related to windows (i should have just gotten a MBP). It's as powerful a laptop as i could get at the time when i got it, for a 15" screen. gets pretty hot, but i bought a laptop cooling pad and it runs cool now without a hiccup.

May 4, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: