Archinect
anchor

Rhino 4... anyone using yet?

A Center for Ants?

wondering if anyone is using the new version 4... worth it? i'm thinking of upgrading...

Mar 16, 07 2:24 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

me too, I was contemplating this exact issue.

I hear it's supposed to be better, but not much change, let me know if you hear anything!

Mar 16, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I just ordered my copy. I've become reliant on the beta versions of 4 so it was an easy choice for me. Heirachy in layering alone is worth it. Much improved printing and the addition of linetypes is great as well. Definetly do it before June when the price will go up $100. Maxwell also has a great deal right now where you can get the V4 upgrade and a full version of Maxwell for $695.

Mar 16, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

is the maxwell integration better than the plugin in 3? i had problems w/ the fact that a projector was created for every single mesh.

if i had smooth rhino -> maxwell workflow, i'd be overjoyed.

Mar 16, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I know that junkieonur is using it currently ... and he's loving it.

Mar 16, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I haven't tried it yet, but the early reviews seem good. Rhino 4 has much, much improved mapping and everyone seems to be jumping all over it. V-ray for Rhino V4 has displacement and we\ill soon have the v-ray sky and physical camera integrated as well.

Fry also has a V4 plug-in for their latest beta as well.

Mar 16, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
bryan boyer

Mxcl4 in rhino seems much better (mapping works, materials are better) and the general rhino 4 interface seems to be better as well.

Mar 16, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
thishaoleguy

What do you use to render from Rhino?

The follow up question to this ia how many of you are really in love with Maxwell?

I've had difficulties.

Mar 16, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

Yes for since about july last year and before that a few other betas ,pre v1 beta.

V4 is amazing everything i asked for (well some of it is coming in SR1 and WIPv5 sounds fun i wouldn't be using v4 for long.

use any of many things to render.
maxwell , great integration
indigo
vray
flamingo
penguin

soon
Brazil
sky

i especially like all the Publishing stuff
i don't need indesign illustrator or autocad type stuff any more with v4.
just add pdfcreator GPL

try the eval there is nothing to loose but love to be found :)

Mar 17, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
guppy

the native rhino renderer is also much improved...probably not sufficient for super high quality final renders, but I've gotten decent test/production renders with a minimum of set up. Still playing with it.

Mar 17, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
http://www.fryrender.com/

If anyone has tried this with Rhino I'd be interested in hearing about it. From what I can tell from their forums, it looks as if Fry gives great results, still takes awhile to render, but unlike Maxwell they have outstanding support.

Mar 17, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

great platform so many choices and so much possibility

Mar 17, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Sergio Lopez-Pineiro

Has anyone tried it under Vista? I have to buy a new computer and I'm hearing that it could be better to stick to XP for a while ...

Mar 18, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ya probably for a loooonng while (90% slower in CADD is nowhere you want to go)
Vista may never be adopted widely ever

go with what is proven and fastest and that is anything but default windows

until Rhinoceros adds direct X full support or until you have a graphics card that makes great openGL drivers, witch i hear none do yet.

Mar 18, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

a couple of us in the umich 3G3 studio are using it.
I personally love it.
and the integration with maxwell is pretty good.
definitely worth the upgrade just because of the solid manipulation tools.

Mar 18, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

on Vista...

The only reason to switch to Vista would be if you are doing huge renderings and need more than the 2 or 3gigs available when running XP. I've run into that a couple times, but only on projects that involved a couple of highly detailed city blocks.

Mar 18, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

could use 8 gigs with xp or 2003 64 bit too, for BIG renderings/scenes where necessary for not just the renderings but the manipulation in real time of the model

cool addictionbomb, ya for that and many many other reasons.

Mar 18, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
ooid

have no idea about rendering stuff, but nice additions they have like monkey scripting and flow along surface command which means if you want a surface population, thats your toy without scripting..
and ofcourse history addition, which let give u some parametric feeling...and ofcourse not to forget unroll double curved surfaces command..apart from these, the software crashes easily and i had to re-write some of my old scripts that have been written in rhino3 in order to run in rhino4...

Mar 18, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I have heard only good things. Haven't tried it myself, but I love "history" in Maya. How does Rhino 4 compare?

Mar 18, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Whoa! Fryender looks pretty cool FOG Lite.

Mar 18, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Another great resource for Rhino 4 are theRhinolabs. Adding some great functionality to Rhino for free!

Mar 20, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

can't live with out functionality even!
like lab tools & block editor

Mar 20, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

plus they are the basis of v5

Mar 26, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

My cop should be sitting on my desk when I go into the office tomorrow morning. Just in time too since my beta version keeps telling me I only have days left.

Has anyone used their license on multiple computers yet? i.e. your desktop at work and laptop at home? They have this new verification thing that seems to have let me do that during Beta, I hope it still does.

Mar 26, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

no 2 PC's with the same key can run at the same time on a network as far as v3 and I would assume v4, could share them with Zoo if you have a few

Mar 26, 07 7:08 am  · 
 · 
Dennis Vennink

I've asked this before on the Rhino News Groups (didn't get any replies), but does anybody know of a plug-in or function within Rhino 4.0 to overview all of the objects and group hierarchies? Most modelers, like Maya (Outliner and Hypergraph) and modo (Item List), include this in their package.

Mar 26, 07 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

with the purpose of?
I know there are parent child relationships with Bongo

Mar 26, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Dennis Vennink

@Jonas77

I reckon the main purpose of such an overview is the ease-of-use of controlling the hierarchical relationships of objects within a scene.

Mar 26, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Hmmm, there is now the ability to set up hierarchical layers. And history has been added to some functions but I'm not aware of anything that will list them for you other than the aforementioned Bongo. But that is for a different purpose.

The great thing about Rhino Labs is that you can make requests for plug-ins and David Rutten will do his best to come up with something for you. I think I'm going to ask for something that would automate makeing windows and doors.

Mar 26, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i saw 2 months ago from people at Mcneel spain the latest rhino 4 version and the way it performed... and i must say its worth it, also u can try the beta anyways

Mar 27, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

you mean the evaluation version not beta correct?

ftp://ftp2.rhino3d.com/pub/rhino/4.0/eval

Mar 27, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Any resources out there for making a good argument to get Rhino 4 @ work? Kind of like a comparison chart between the other programs. I am trying to get Rhino instead of/to replace Sketchup/Viz and other visualisation programs...

Apr 25, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

sure lets make one , put together a confab of lots of data. i have already convinced and been using it instead for since July straight.

while we wait for SR1.

the wiki is where i would start.

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/CustomerStoriesArchitecture.html

the simply rhino UK team and the EU people in Spain are both going to come out with great things soon too.

Apr 26, 07 4:54 am  · 
 · 
resincake

my viewports keep sliding, particularly the top right. it was happening with V3 but not at the frequency i'm experiencing now. it mostly happens when i'm using the maxwell plugin. anyone else experience this?

Apr 26, 07 5:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: