Archinect
anchor

NYC BUILDING CODE.

Hello, 

I wanna know if someone can help me with the NYC BUILDING CODE exactly the laws and politics about the invasion, comercialization and exploration of the  Air Space Above Existing Buildings, how this works in the City.  

May 6, 11 4:04 pm
Rusty!

Donald Trump, is that you? Wheres the next po-mo monument going up?

If this is just for research, I suggest reading the NYC building code. :)

May 6, 11 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
tussyswat

nice answer rusty. 

i'm just trying to investigate how Air Right work's and how this politics can shape the city, the research its just in primal phase so this is my first approach to the initial phase of the investigation. 

do you know where i can found the Building Code and the Zooning Book in the Internet, i'm in Argentina so thats why i'm asking here 

May 6, 11 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Bam!

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/subcats/zoning.shtml

For the more visually inclined

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/pub/zonehand.shtml

May 6, 11 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

sorry pussywat! You can view entire NYC building code here. Zoning handbook that Kannan links to is unfortunately for purchase only. I found the web version here, although it doesn't have the pretty illustrations the printed version does. 

One truth you won't find printed in either of these is that the NYC skyline is ultimately shaped by the biggest wallet :)

May 6, 11 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

When you purchase air rights, what you're really doing is merging the zoning lots so that any "leftover" floor area from one lot can be used in the new lot. For example, let's say you have a vacant 50'x100' lot next door to an existing building on a 25'x100' lot. That building has an FAR of 3, meaning it could be built to 7500 SF. If it is only 5000 SF, you could merge the zoning lots and build the new building with 2500 extra SF. From a zoning point of view, this is one 75'x100' lot. Whether or not you can cantilever over the existing building is a contractual issue that you would negotiate when you purchase the air rights from your neighbor.

May 8, 11 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
tussyswat

Okey Thanks a lot for the answer, lets go a little deep into the theme, are this practice legitimize just only in NYC or in another states and Country ?  what are those countrys and states?  

i´m asking this because i´m deeply interesting in the theme, and my thesis project will be focus on this.  

Thanks Once Again 

May 9, 11 8:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: