Archinect
anchor

AutoCAD question...

psteiner

So-in my electrical plan there was an xref'd floor plan that has been exploded somehow...how do I get it back to being an xref? I tried to unload and re-attach, but I keep getting messages saying this block is already defined in this drawing...but it's not a block. Any idea? Would I need to resave my floorplans with a new file name and then insert the file names as an xref for my electrical plan? I'm using AutoCAD LT 2007...
thanks
-pamela

Mar 15, 07 2:53 pm
evilplatypus

Ouch -

That sounds like a problem that happens every so often and its usually not good -

Did the xref get put onto a layer that seems arbitrairily named and created by the computer, possibly containing a $ in the title?

Sometimes when doing an in place xref edit if the edit is not saved or canceled while in the command, and you just close out of the edit window, it inserts the xref into your drawing as a block and you'll never know until your next session.

Mar 15, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

uhh... i had same problem and someone fixed it somehow.

you might want to purge first?
eliminating the block?

erase broken xref. detach and re-attach

if it doesn't...

Mar 15, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

If this is a floor plan , is that floor inserted at a specifiv hight, that case it's just an entity search for the height as z value from the drawing database , some SSget or cadr point value thing.

Mar 15, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

that takes some talent to do that... it sounds like somehow the xref was bound to the drawing, thus turning it into a block and then exploded... please direct the person at fault to the appropriate archinect thread for a scolding... there might also be some useful info on that thread for your predicament...

Mar 15, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

yes...there are $ signs where there were none before...I'm testing the whole purge idea on a saved copy right now

Mar 15, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

yes...there are $ signs where there were none before...I'm testing the whole purge idea on a saved copy right now

Mar 15, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

You can filter out just any of many informations related to other unexploded layers to know what to look for and call it "A" then freezing what you found and deleting all the rest, shuld prove if you found it all.
Gee you can do that with Lisp any time.

Mar 15, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Yes, once you delete the shrapnal from the exploded xref, purge the drawing and you should then be able to re-insert the xref.

Mar 15, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

Blah...it's not letting me purge:
"A block definition cannot be purged if:
-- It is nested inside another block.
-- It is inserted in the drawing.
-- It is an attached xref drawing."

looks like I may be redrawing electrical plans

Mar 15, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

turn off layers that aren't supposed to be there, then copyclip just your electrical symbols, notes, etc. into a clean drawing and re-attach your x-ref

Mar 15, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Does the xref layers not show up when you plot preview? if not - Ive seen this exact problem and the fix is to reassemble the drawings. Sounds like a simple xref of 1 floor? Shouldnt be too bad - minor set back.

Mar 15, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

rename the offending block[s] and re-insert the xref.

Mar 15, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

well...I finally got it all in order. turned off exploded xref and all its layers, copied switches, fixtures, and elec. lines, set up new drawing, purged entire new drawing, re-inserted xref plan...i do believe it all started with something being "bound" to something it shouldn't have...plus slingshot and cad aren't cooperating too well-we just upgraded the slingshot today-don't know if that was helping or hurting.

eyes on the prize...permit set due Wednesday to print.

thanks everyone for help
-pamela

Mar 15, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix
Mar 21, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: