Archinect
anchor

loading dock design

gruen

oh i've got a great question. I'm designing a loading dock. while this isn't so interesting, the fact that columns would really like to come down through the dock makes the entire project sorta hinge off this work. So...my problem...

I know how much space a tractor / trailer takes to turn, going foward. What I don't know is how much space it takes to back into a spot.

the dock is a 90 degree entrance, ie: the trucker has to pull past the dock spot, then back 90 degrees into the spot. I don't know how far past the spot he has to pull, and I don't know how much space side to side he'll need to make the maneuver.

Help!

Mar 12, 07 2:39 pm
Chili Davis

I can't offer you any specifics, but I would venture to guess that it would be less than one would think. I have seen tractor/trailers turn nearly 90 degrees in reverse. Have you tried google for loading dock schematics or design requirements?

Mar 12, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Have you tried Architectural Graphic Standards?

Mar 12, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i saw an 18 wheeler back into a driveway from a 30' wide street saturday. a few of us had to stop and wait while he did this so I took the opportunity to really watch. the driveway he backed into was a standard two lane driveway entrance. looked pretty easy for him.

Mar 12, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jafidler called it - Graphic Standards will tell you exactly what you need, and it's clearly (graphically!) explained.

Mar 12, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

i used to do a lot of site planning for retail centers... one major grocery store chain required a space of about 110-120' x the width of the dock clear in front of their loading docks... target required either a 60' or 90' diameter circle (can't remember which) to allow their trucks to turn a complete circle...

a lot of it depends on the size truck that will be servicing the building... also, make sure that they don't have to back up blind by making sure that they can see the dock on the inside of their turn (not the outside) as they back up...

also, there is a plug-in for CAD that lets you drive all of the different standard size trucks around your site plan to make sure that everything works... i don't remember what it is called though, and i think that it is pretty expensive... but worth it if you do a lot of site planning...

Mar 12, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I've got graphic standards on my desk, and it shows how a truck turns, going forward, but in reverse, no info...I know they can make the same turn in reverse that they do forward, but like el jeffe said, they can probably make a tighter turn going backwards. A big semi can make a turn in a 50' (or so) radius circle - so 100' diameter is good for a forward 180 turn, but in reverse=???

I've got the turn down so they can see the dock, FWIW.

Mar 12, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Plug-in is called 'AutoTurn'

Mar 12, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

State Department of Transportation: Call them ask for an engineer and they will most likely be real helpful, long as you tell them your and engineering student. They actually have templates they use to be sure the turning radius works.

Mar 12, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

There are 18 Wheels on a Big Rig (Listen to the whole thing..it's great.)

Mar 12, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

your turning radius is going to be the same going forwards as backwards - it takes a little more driver skill since you have to force your brain to think opposite hand. you will have to provide enough from in front for the trailer to be past the entry to the dock - think of paralleling parking. BTW, your named will be cursed every time by the drivers if you make them do a 90 degree turn into a loading dock.

Mar 13, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I know they can do the same move backwards as forwards, but you're wrong that it's exactly the same. The cab does the same thing forwards as backwards, but the trailer can cut a tighter turn. (I know this from backing many a trailer myself.) A 90 degree turn backwards is a standard maneuver they learn in trucking school (I just found that out...) but they prefer to be able to see the end of the truck out of the left hand window, IE: the direction of the 90 degree turn is critical.

I'm going to figure out the math of this and write some software...

Mar 14, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

10-4 good buddy
couldn't resist : )

Mar 14, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Ask a trucker?

Mar 14, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Nice link, Jon.

Feb 22, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: