Archinect
anchor

problems with lineweights when saving Illustrator files as pdf

hcnike

Help please!!! the lineweights in the illustrator file i am working on is coming out really thick when i save as pdf format. for instance a 0.15pt looks like 0.5pt!!!

any ideas why? i've changed the stroke colour to grey to make them look less thick but would like to know if there's anyway of having the lineweights as they should be and keeping them black.

thank you thank you!

Mar 7, 07 10:33 am
arri

hcnike,
when I make a pdf file from illustrator the lines sometimes only looks thicker, but when its printed it the line thinkness I selected in illustrator.
So, run a test print from the PDF file to make sure.

Mar 7, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
hcnike

cool, thanks arri! it works. :)

but i also need to project the pdf...and the lines appear thicker than what they 'should' be. (i know, i know i shouldn't project pdfs. but it makes life so much easier using the same layout).

Mar 7, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
e

hcnike, you could make a separate version of the document for projection. to do this i would create jpgs instead of doing pdfs of your ill files.

Mar 7, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
binary

you can print to pdf with cutewriter......

Mar 7, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
hcnike

sorry, i just re-read my first entry and haven't fully described the situation.

i'm doing my layout in inDesign so am placing the pdfs made from Illustrator into inDesign, and jpgs printed from inDesign are quite pixelated.

Mar 7, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
hcnike

what's cutewriter???

Mar 7, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

cutePDF = free PDF writer

Mar 7, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

hcnike, why are placing pdfs made from illustrator and not just placing the ill files straight into indesign? you are creating a extra unneeded step in the process.

your jpgs print pixelated because they do not have high enough resolution. pixel based work should be 300dpi for printing, but you could get away with less if needed. jpgs at 72dpi will be fine for projection but not printing.

Mar 7, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
hcnike

i've tried bringing in the .ai files, same problem with pdfs.

Mar 7, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
hcnike

cool! cutePDF seems to be doing the trick. thanks cryzko and e! how is cutePDF writer differetn from the ADOBE pdf writer, aside from it doesn't mess around with the file?

Mar 7, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Try it as an .eps file.

Mar 7, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

ai files work fine in indesign. i work in both apps day in and out and have never had a prob working this way.

Mar 7, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: