Archinect
anchor

GRE questions, help please!!!

So i am attempting to apply for grad programs (M.ARCH II or MCP).
I am not applying to Ivy league schools, but still descent schools:
Berkeley
SCI-ARC
UCLA

What are "safe" scores for the GRE? I have heard that they are not that important, unless your GPA stinks (which mine is ok; 3.4)
But i am just trying to get an idea....
I am not a good tester, so the GRE has been kinda worrying me.
And i know that they look at all your scores for it, so i am not taking the exam until i do descently on the practice tests.
I appreciate any info you guys can give me !!!
thanks!!!

Mar 5, 07 7:56 pm

I think the best info you can get is to watch the grad school threads for the next few weeks and see who gets in where.... most of us have posted our GRE scores in the grad school 'commiseration' thread.

Mar 5, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

My undergrad GPA was 3.4. I scored something like a 78 percentile in verbal, 86 in math and 5.5 in the essay. I was accepted to Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Northeastern Univ, UNC Charlotte, and NC State. I'll let you make your own judgments on the competitiveness of those schools.

Mar 5, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Northeastern Univ, UNC Charlotte, and NC State.

who did you pick? did you go visited Vtech? got any info about them?

Mar 5, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

thanks guys!

Mar 5, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

I did pretty well on the GRE, and what really helped me the most was doing tons of practice tests on a computer ahead of time. You can download the free tutorial program from the ets website, and I would recommend getting a book like the Kaplan or Princeton Review series as well. Book a test date in advance, then set a study schedule and stick to it. I found this site helpful.

The actual test procedure is pretty draconian and potentially nerve-wracking (it's like prison lockdown) but if you are prepared in advance, then you can focus on testing well. Use the headphones they have to drown out other testers, too. Also- I think the computer-based test is changing significantly this year, so prepare for that.

Like everyone else says- do some prep, take the tests, and don't stress too much about the GRE. It's not going to get you into or keep you out of grad arch. programs. Your portfolio is where you should focus the most energy.

Mar 6, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

thansk for the inputs!!

Mar 6, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: