Archinect
anchor

gabion walls

tzenyujuei

Hey, anyone out there familiar with the detailing of Gabion Baskets as walls like in the Dominus Winery? I just want to know if there are any issues that I should look out for that I would miss when looking at technical manuals and also other examples of its use would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Mar 1, 07 6:07 pm
mdler
http://www.gabions.net/
Mar 1, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

thanks mdler, i actually found that website too... It an interesting building system but I was just worried that since it is usually utilized for earth retention and exterior partition wall that special treatment (extra structure... integrated weather proofing?) would be needed for it to act as a sheer wall in a building that would be in close proximity to people

Mar 1, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

What won't the technical manuals tell you? Snakes like them. A lot.

Mar 1, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I used them in a capstone design progect. We had to put glass between two gabion wall systems so you could feel the textures on the inside as well as the out. And the structural consultants we had in class for the project had us make a MASSIVE footing for the wall. Who'd a thunk baskets of rocks would get so heavy. But mostly they structural in the sense that flying butresses are structural. Meaning they werent required to keep the building skinned and weather proof, just to support a few things, and to look awesome.

Don't know if this helps, if was just a school desing project.

Mar 1, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you should probably ask a structural engineer what the sheer capacity of a gabion wall is...you may be able to set up some type of moment frame and then use the gabions as infill

Mar 1, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

thanks for all the suggestions. the idea is that these gabion units will be standardized and the units would be infilled with other materials as you move along the wall and once its becomes non-structural (if it ever is in the first place) so you get something like lego blocks with different transparencies and materiality throughout the wall system... we are trying to keep steel out of this because of cost and avalibility on site... its a challenge but hopefully with interesting results

Mar 2, 07 12:52 am  · 
 · 
mdler

gabions aint cheap

Mar 2, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: