Archinect
anchor

architecture vs computer science

legal79

Hi everyone,

Looking for some help from anyone with the opinion on the following matter:

I have been accepted to both architecture program and computer science program at the university (two different universities, actually). Initially I was applying to architecture as it is the profession I saw myself going into and applied to comp science just as a back up. I got into both and now I am having second thoughts about it.

The computer science program will turn out cheaper for me as it is shorter (at least 1,5 years shorter) and I won't have to move halfway across the country for it (the school is literally ten minutes away from my home). I will still be fine and according to my budget should not have more that 10 thousand dollars in debt if I take architecture route. On the other hand I feel like I would enjoy doing architecture more than computer science. Another aspect is prospects after graduation, when you look at job websites you can't help but notice how many computer/software jobs are there compared to architecture. As a matter of fact, I barely saw any architecture job postings (mostly for senior architects or graduate architects with 5-10 years experience). How people find jobs right after the University is a mystery for me, yet every graduate of the program that accepted me found more a less related job in an architecture firm or design bureau. I talked to a couple of professionals from both sides and it seems as computer professionals have better work-life balance but architects enjoy what they are doing a bit more and are also more likely to work for themselves 10-15 years down the road.

I know what both professions entail and would not mind doing either but feel like I would enjoy doing architecture more but would not know for sure until I am fully involved in the process.

It has been three weeks since I started thinking about it and weighting these two together and I thought of every argument possible and exhausted myself to death, so I just need a fresh perspective from people already in the industry or in academia. What would you do in my place?

I know that it is ultimately going to be my own decision and nobody can decide what is better for me, I am just asking to point out maybe something I haven't thought of, any other positive/negative aspect of architecture (or computer science if any of you are familiar with the field).

Now, just to clarify, this is my second degree and it is going to be the last one I am getting too (unless I decide to do research in either field). So for computer science I am planning to build on my existing BSc and finish it in two years (six terms, including summers) and the architecture program is 3,5-4 years long.

Please and thank you!

Jul 5, 12 10:13 pm
accesskb

Aside from the stress, bad press, lack of jobs after graduation etc, studying architecture has been the best decision I've made in life and a life changing experience for me.  I can't think of anything else that would've enriched and changed me to the degree I'm today.  

Jul 5, 12 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
magentasky

I was originally in a Computer Science program - dropped out to go to get my BArch instead.   I will tell you that I wish I had stuck with Computer Science.  Not because I don't enjoy architecture, but because of the introduction of computer programming in architectural modeling (parametric modeling), I believe a CS degree would have been extremely beneficial.  

So I would say go with CS, but only because you'll be able to add on an MArch to it and get the benefits of both worlds.  It sounds like this will be your last degree, though, so I'm not sure what to suggest.  

Jul 6, 12 5:42 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

It's all about what you want to do with your life mate. You need to think very well about that because later on you may deeply regret your choice. Do not think about how much it will cost you because happiness has no price. I am not putting off the computer science though - magentasky is right computers are now inevitable part of architecture. 

Jul 6, 12 6:03 am  · 
 · 
Junqi Wang

Curious what you chose, i got into a situation like yours. On the one hand, CS assures employment, salary and  relatively lighter workload. On the other hand, I am passionate about architecture but unsure whether i could do well. I am also going to get my second degree. Please let me know what you chose.

Nov 19, 18 11:07 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe try contacting OP directly, it's been over 6 years you know.

Nov 19, 18 11:34 am  · 
 · 
nonneutral

You have to have a degree in architecture in order to advance within the field, but you can get hired as a software developer without any  degree. 

Nov 19, 18 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
bryangonzales

Hey I’m kinda in the same position. What did u end up choosing anyways? I’m half way through computer science and although it’s hard for me , it’s Interesting. But not a day goes by that i don’t think about what i would be doing if I choose architecture :( i don’t want to be one thing , why can’t I be multiple things. Would pursueing architecture after computer science sound like a good idea or a waste of time ?

Jan 25, 19 12:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: