Archinect
anchor

some autocad advice needed here

Mintern

Hi all,

I'm a long time reader, but this is my first post. I have a question that maybe some of you could help me with.

I'm working on a hotel and it's probably one of the larger projects my office has tackled. I'm having trouble setting the project up in cad (AutoDesk Architectural Desktop 2006). The trouble is that we are using xref for each of the room types (king, double queen bed, etc) to avoid redrawing a room 30 times, however, I can't figure out how to get the room & door schedule features to work correctly when using multiple copies of the same xref.

No one else in my office has any idea what to do & I haven't been able to decipher an answer via the help menus in autodesk. So does anyone have any advice for working with this type of project in cad? there's gotta be a reasonable way of approaching this & I feel like I'm trying to re-invent the wheel right now.

Thanks for any help.

Feb 19, 07 8:50 am
b3tadine[sutures]

don't place your door tags and room names in the xref? i forget if that's right, but it's worth a shot. another thought is exporting to an excel file, but you have to do that everytime you make additions or changes.

Feb 19, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

beta is right. if your door sched. info is in the xref all you're doing is making a copy of existing information. create a seperate xref for your door and room tags. you can then take that info and export it to excel, like beta said. there is a function that allows you to reference the information in the excel file to a traditional door schedule (i'm not sure what it is, but i know it's there). we did this for an airport project that, thank god, is almost over. hope this helps.

Feb 19, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Mintern

Thanks. That's someewhat helpful. But I was thinking that there must be some way to avoid exporting to Excel. Can anybody explain the difference between a normal Door Tag and a "project based" Door Tag?

Thanks again.

Feb 19, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
shaner

the problem is your still using desktop :) use revit. - ah im just givin you a hard time..

Feb 19, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Maybe I can help, maybe not. Are you xref-ing out of Project Navigator (drag-and-drop)? If you are, create the repeated rooms as elements and then lay them out in your construct file. Once you've layed them out, create a space object for each room and assign each room a room tag. Your doors should automatically associate with the room tag. Then just create the door schedule. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Feb 20, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

You can’t xref tagged elements multiple times, some of the information is in the door tag and some is in the object and therefore not unique. You can use custom “dumb tags” with all of the attribute data in them that you need and export this to excel, but you will really be scheduling tags not doors. You would need to create a proxy file with all of the data xrefe’d lest you have to merge multiple excel sheets which would make updating quite painful. There are some third party apps for this but at some point you have to ask yourself what am I realy trying to accomplish and what have I gained for this added process. I won’t go into the problems that you will have doing this across a team (see this thread link).

At my last office we had done this both ways and determined that we do not have enough information up front to make either exercise worth while. It was cool to demonstrate but a bear to maintain.

Have you considered not giving unique door tags, then they could be part of the xref, a door Type-A is scheduled as a type and not a unique door. So you only need to track global changes at the schedule. We started doing this with room finish tags and we now carry a small room finish type schedule on every sheet (xref’d into that sheet of course) so all of the room data resides on the same sheet as the room.

I won't even address project constructs here because if you don't know how to use them already, you need more information than this forum can supply...One thing we learned the hard way was just because it is in the marketing literature doesn’t make it good methodology.

Feb 20, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

whoops, here is the link referenced above...
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=52603_0_42_50_C

Feb 20, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: