Archinect
anchor

digital music

shogo664

I have an extensive digital music library- 156 gb. or around 40k songs. I have problems sharing and ripping files, because the tagging info on many rips is either incorrect or mis-tagged.

I have used Tag and Rename software www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
in the past. But it has it's limitations. I have tried several tagging softwares....and nada. srgggh. My buddies and I (we all share music libraries) are looking for a simeple and easy to use tagging software.

Any digi-music heads out there care offer some easy to use (even free if possible) tagging software.

Thanks

Feb 18, 07 11:46 am
nicomachean

pretty decent for $30
ADVANCED MP3 CATALOG PRO

Feb 18, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
shogo664

sweet. thanks much.

Feb 18, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

shogo, as you are new to the forums, and obviously interested in music, perhaps you'd like to join the next round of CD Swaping that some of us have set up here? The last go-round was a bit sluggish, but several of us are still verrrry interested in keeping it going, I'm sure.

Feb 18, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I use the godfather:

http://users.forthnet.gr/the/jtclipper/

free, and with a customized automate script, reduces file, folder, and tag updating to two clicks.

Feb 19, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i was just turned on to a pieceof software called MusicIP.

an automated 'tonal recognition' device, it works in conjunction with the massive databases at the MusicBrainz project.

basically, you load all of your music into the MusicIP library and it analyzes every song for their unique 'fingerprints' and then checks to see if there a match within the database. if there is, it grabs the tag and updates your song's id3 info.

i was skeptical, but with about 15,000 songs, it found only a few hundred or more that it could not identify.

unfortunately (or fortunately, dpending on your preference,) it does not rename the files themselves. but with just about any id3 tagging software like godfather, id3tagit, and many others, you can globally choose to rename all files based on a user defined fields from the id3 info.

it's also got a pretty cool playlist generator that will make mixes of a defined length by choosing just a few songs. it checks their tonal fingerprint and then makes a mix with comparable songs.

i'm not much of a playlister, but it's nice for parties and what-not.

good luck. it's a massive undertaking that has been simplified more recently with the advent of more sophisticated tagging softwares.

Feb 19, 07 5:15 am  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

As much as I hate to say it, I find that there is not much that I need to do to keep organized that iTunes cannot provide. Does anyone else use the "cover flow" view in version 7? How cool is that?

Feb 19, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
shogo664

nicomachean: I ordered and purchased ADVANCED MP3 CAT PRO. Good inteface and easy to use. One down side...so far I cannot get it to read m4a files, just mp3 files. I have contacted their support to see if there is any plug in's WRT to m4a file types. I have both. You have any ideas?

libery bell: thanks for the very generous offer, however, be very careful about posting info about copy written material. Safety first. Tis illegal to 'swap' music. thanks.

manamana: thanks godfather looks great. I am at work now, but will down load a copy tonite and see how it works. Looks good for all file types. I have some ogg vorbus files as well. thanks.

3dgraffitti: iTunes is very inconsistant WRT to organizing the music files, and consiquently very discouraging. The library looks fine, then when you look at the file info, iTunes when you ripped it, put in an odd file folder. iTunes also does not 'tag' the info correctly in many cases- I would say about 40% of the time I find a glitch.

Thanks to all for your words of wisdom. Adios.

Feb 19, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

wait a second there shogo...you shouldn't tell liberty bell to be careful about swapping music when you state in your original post that "you and your buddies share music libraries."

WTF?

No offense meant of course, but I know a lot of people with extensive digital music libraries, and NOBODY has 160G of music that was entirely LEGALLY acquired within all tenets of the standard EULA for all DRM media.

Though i'm sure you and your buddies only *listen* and don't actually *share.*

I mean...c'mon!

Me though, of course, all of my music is perfectly legit. Yup.

I love BMI, ASCAP, SONY, RCA, and all of their friends in the recording industry.

God Bless the authors of the digital rights management act, and may naysayers go down in hell with dave matthews, the blues brothers, phish, and every other file-sharing hippie out there. yup. really.

;-)

Feb 19, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

shogo, i have the same problem with mp4s

you could convert your mp4s to mp3s with something like 'ImTOO WMA MP3 Converter'

Feb 19, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
shogo664

mightylittle touche' and good catch. My bad. Sorry to mislead or be a hypocrit. I think I was re-acting to the 'CD Swap' language. And perhaps was thinking Liberty Bell was doing this swapping online somehow. And want to make sure 'music cops' couldn' look in on the swapping.

iSo...whatever....it is probably all the same and I am as guilty as anyone.

And I am also assuming there is a little sarcasim in your tone. I hope that is the case.

nicomachean: In my experiend, this process (m4a to mp3) reduces quality and is very noticable. Plus I am talking about several thousand music files.

I havelooked at Godfather....and so far so good.

Again sorry for rant liberty bell, I was out of line and in this case as guilty as anybody.

Feb 20, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: