Archinect
anchor

sketchup 6 question

so, aside from the fact that all the prefs/options have been moved to new menu locations, possibly even less intuitive than it was before, everything seems cool with google brand sketchup.

this photomatch tool looks promising - has anyone figured out how to get an acurate scale? it all seems pretty arbitrary.

also - anyone know a way to get alpha channel transparency on a material? or am i going to keep exporting to rhino/flamingo to render?

Feb 8, 07 7:56 pm
archasm

evanc-
sorry that this is a tangent, but i'd like to know...
how have you been exporting to rhino? through cad?
because every time i bring a sketchup file to rhino, i get horrible meshes and then i have to rebuild everything in order to assign materials. is there a better way?

Feb 8, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

export from sketchup to a v2000 dwg, then import/open in rhino.

i *think* they import as surfaces, but i could be wrong... in sketchup i have all everything separated to layers, and each of my layers is a different material for rendering, so i havent actually checked the objects out in rhino. could be meshes.

however

both sketchup and rhino are surface modelers, so it should be pretty easy to go one to the other. what's a good surface-modeler file format?

Feb 8, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
mvsuriano

archasm-

the best method I can suggest from sketchup to rhino:

Since sketchup is not a nurbs modeler, you will be dealing with planar geometry anyway. I always will export as a 3ds or autocad file. Your groups/components will come into rhino as groups - so you can layer them however you choose. I then sequentially explode the groups, select all of the relevant geometry and duplicate the borders (from the curve menu). From there you simply select everything and use the planar surface command in one fell swoop. It takes barely any time, and you have rhino native surfaces after it is done. Much cleaner than triangulated surfaces.

Feb 9, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

good advice surry, thanks. i'll give it a try.

Feb 9, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: