Archinect
anchor

Presentation sheets with scale drawings

tommy

Hi there, can anyone help me please?
I currently use archicad 9 to produce my cad drawings and photoshop to produce presentation sheets. I have noticed that a lot of people in the gallery have produced presentation sheets with scale drawings on. For instants a saw a really nice elevation that faded as it went along the page. I can do this in photoshop, however I can not use scale drawings as my line thicknesses get distorted when I export as a dwg or dwf and the scale is also messed up. Can anyone suggest a program in which I can produce presentation sheets with several scale drawings on or tell me the secret to producing work like this?
This may seem a really stupid question, if so I apologise as I am new to cad. I am a student just starting out.
Thank you

Tom

Jan 28, 07 3:18 pm
arri

hi tommy,
I use autocad, so when I want to create presentation boards I just create a PDF from autocad. I'm sure you can do the same thing in archicad. Just plot out like you would to a printer (with the scale you want) except to a PDF plot file.

Once you have the PDF. You can open in Photoshop or Illustrator. If you open in Photoshop a window will pop up asking you what DPI you want to set the drawing at. I use 300 DPI.

If you open the file in Illustrator, under file,document setup type in the page size you want. That's all there is to it, I hope this helps.

Jan 28, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
tommy

Hay thanks for your reply. when you say open in terms of photoshop do you meen file>open> pdf (file name)?

Does this distort the scale or the line thicknesses?

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated

Tommy

Jan 28, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

try the Postscript printer to produce eps files

Jan 29, 07 2:22 am  · 
 · 
tommy

I tried that which seemed to work when i opened the drawing in photoshop until i draged the eleavtion onto the a2 Canvas. then the scale was messed up again. line thickness is still a problem as well lol

Jan 29, 07 7:51 am  · 
 · 
pandpieri

It probably depends on the resolution you have in the A2 canvas document. Make sure the resolution is the same as the elevation/plans you are draging in to the document otherwise it will be a mess. if you have the elevation in 300ppi and the A2 sheet in 150ppi the elevation will be twice the sise you want it. stick to one resolution and it will be fine..
note that when previewing in photoshop on actual size there is a slight difference to what it really will be like in pring.
In order to make presentation sheets I prefer to work with Illustrator/indesign as you can take advantage of the vector output from CAD (pdf or eps) and you get away with way less heavy files.

good luck

Jan 29, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
tommy

hay thanks ill give it ago. cheers

tom

Jan 29, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 

yeah, print from CAD at the size you want to work with it at, and then when you open an eps or pdf in Photoshop it'll ask you about rasterizing it - do not use the default settings. Get your dpi to at least 150, and make sure the size is big enough.

Jan 29, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: