Archinect
anchor

Advanced Placement

sarci-tect

I am wanting to hear from people who have been accepted into MArch Advanced placement programs - ( a 2 year program) and what their background is. I have a background studying design and architecture and have worked for 3 years in the architecture/design field. I really want to avoid doing a 3 year program and was hoping to hear from people who have been placed into these programs, and where. 

Cheers!

Jun 13, 12 11:29 am
snarkitekt

My impression is that qualifying for advanced placement is largely based on your undergraduate degree and curriculum, and it's most commonly given to students who have a four-year, non-professional degree in architecture (e.g. a Bachelor of Science) that has included a certain number of design studios as well as some structures and building technology/construction coursework. Most graduate programs have specific guidelines for advanced placement applicants, which can usually be found on their website along with instructions to applicants - and if your particular background doesn't quite meet those guidelines, it can't hurt to call the school and ask if they take other factors (like work experience) into consideration during admissions. You can also try to leverage advanced placement after you have been accepted.

When I applied to grad programs in 2008, I had a BS in architecture from UVA, and got advanced placement from Princeton (2 yrs), GSD (2.5), UT Austin (2.5), and UC Berkeley (2). The advanced placement system at Princeton is pretty cut-and-dried - students with a BS got advanced standing, those with a BA (even in architecture) generally did not. I believe the approach at the GSD is similar. I was also accepted to Yale, but try as I might, they would not give me advanced standing - although I have heard that there have been very occasional exceptions to the rule, my understanding that they don't give professional MArch students AP because they want everyone to take the building project studio in their second semester.

I definitely recommend pursuing a two year program, the difference between two years of debt (+ lost income) and three can be staggering. Best of luck!

Jun 13, 12 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

My experiences have been pretty much the same as snarkitekt.

I was accepted to my undergrad alma mater with AP, and was also told by each Canadian university I that I would get AP if accepted there (I'm a Canuck). However, I was also accepted to a very good US school with scholarship but no AP, despite having a BS.Arch-equivalent undergrad. I asked them about this and they said that while my application was very strong (hence the money), the design level demonstrated wasn't high enough to warrant AP in the minds of the admissions committee.

I explained that while I understood what they were saying, the applications were due Feb.1 and that meant I wasn't able to include my senior year undergrad projects, which I felt were at a higher level than what I could show from the previous work. They told me that was fair and that I should send them a copy of my final projects for re-evaluation on my application; I'm still waiting on word for this but I'm really hoping it happens, as this will probably be a deal-breaker for me because of the money. They did tell me that I would be able to drop about half of the first-year classes though.

I think you just need to show your best work that demonstrates that you don't need the extra year of schooling. Also, keep in mind that as far as I know, admissions comm's will only consider this for people with a BS.Arch (or equivalent), and not a BA/BFA in Arch, regardless of the design ability.

Jun 13, 12 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
sarci-tect

Thanks, hmm that kinda sucks. My degree is a Bachelor of Design majoring in interior architecture- a 4 year undergraduate degree. The first year was a full architecture course, and the following 3 years was a combination with other architecture courses like prof practice, structures, history....to know that the BS is the main degree required for AP is a downer, especially after 3 solid years of work experience in architecture...thanks. 

Jun 14, 12 10:41 am  · 
 · 
hematophobia

Does anyone know how the BS vs BA / BFA distinction apply to a B.Arch.

Ie.-  whether a B.Arch would be disregarded for an AP  like a BA / BFA or would it be considered more similiar to a BS?

Also - Ben C, could I ask what you GPA was to be accepted for a Princeton AP?

Many thanks

Jun 24, 12 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Bench

I wasn't accepted, nor did I apply to Princeton...

Personally, I don't find any appeal in going to an Ivy League school when I'm coming from Canada.

My undergrad GPA was ~ 3.5 Major and ~ 3.7 Overall, and I essentially had minors in Fine Art and Urban Planning. Like I said, my experiences have been that the BA/BFA route will not give you any edge for AP. People were able to drop some history classes, but that was about it.

Jun 24, 12 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

Speaking generally,

BA/BFAs won't do a whole lot for advanced placement.

BS/B of Design/B of Environmental Design will typically get you AP depending on how persnickety the school is.

A B.Arch is an accredited degree so you don't need a master's to get licensed. You only really need a master's after a B.Arch if you really want to research a specific interest or maybe if you want to teach at a college.

Jun 24, 12 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
hematophobia

ooops. my question regarding princeton ap gpa was directed at snarkitekt not benc.. sorry benc.

culturecon: i am from an international school where they have split a traditional 5 year B.arch into a 3+2 model.. where there is a 3 year B.arch and a 2 year M.arch.

So I wondered how an american school would treat the B.Arch. Would they consider it more as a BS or more of a BA / BFA?

Jun 25, 12 9:06 am  · 
 · 
H3ndrik

I am coming from a Canadian program where I know people have been accepted into AP programs in the US from, however, I know that those schools like GSD, have a very small number of people they accept for AP, so if you apply for AP on your app and dont get it would they still accept you into the general 3 year program or would you just be S.O.L?

Jun 25, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

hematophobia-

Most graduate schools in the US have 2 separate M.Arch. programs - The M.Arch. I is a professional degree for students with an undergraduate non-professional degree in architecture, usually taking 3 years +/-.  The M.Arch. II is a post-professional degree (for those with a B.Arch.) and is usually 2 semesters plus a summer. or 2 years.

The Harvard GSD-Architecture page describes these differences well.

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/academic-programs/architecture/index.html

Jun 25, 12 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
synekha

Hello there! I'm too is an architecture graduate, and holding a B.arch. But as i'm considering harvard GSD or Yale for my Masters', i can't figure out whether I'll be resorted to M.arch I, or AP or M.arch II. Because the edu systems are not the same and i can't predict their expectations yet. but how far is it different between M.arch I AP and M.Arch II?

Aug 14, 18 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: