Archinect
anchor

SU Podium - anybody using it?

belle

hopefully there hasn't been a thread about this already that i missed...

just wondering if anyone has tried SU Podium yet? (plugin for sketchup that creates lighting and reflections within the program)

what's your opinion?

i've just downloaded the trial and am having a look around, it seems pretty easy to use for people like me who are a bit scared of 3d studio...

Jan 17, 07 12:10 pm
Chili Davis

Downloaded it, haven't used it. I prefer to take SU into Viz to render, or Vue.

Jan 17, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I've been playing around with it at work

As a rendering engine on it's own, it's pretty worthless compared to vray/finalrender/maxwell.

where it's really useful is as another layer to composite with standard sketchup cartoony/line work output. since it uses sketchup materials, in alot of cases all you have to do is fire it up and hit render. Basically with sketchup, podium, and the adobe suite, you have alot of options for what the final product will look like without a major additional time committment, and you can make your decisions about "look" and "feel" very late in the game.

however, since my boss just loves standard crappy sketchup output, I still haven't convinced him it's a flexibility worth $150.

Jan 17, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Wow! I guess you can polish a turd.

Jan 19, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

I've been using Podium for awhile and its awesome. I bought the full version for $149 and its worth every penny. Im no longer using FormZ. :) Podium is affordable and its really user friendly with no experience in 3D rendering. Here is something that I am currently working on for my lighting class. Tweaking it at the moment, but its a great tool! Next version I heard is going to be even better.

For some more outstanding work go check out the gallery in the forums.

Jan 20, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
belle

yeah there are a few nice renderings in the gallery...

amoroso do you find the rendering times slow compared to other programs - are they faster with the full version?

Jan 26, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: