Archinect
anchor

AA or Bartlett (environmental design program)

Jonathan_arc

Hi all...

After being accepted to both AA and Bartlett to a similar Msc environmental design program, I am facing a very hard time deciding which way to go.

I received a 7000 pounds bursary form the AA and I would certainly go there, but according to the new immigration policy I will not be able to bring my wife and child with me under my visa (just because the AA is private and not public).

If i will attend the AA, my wife and child will be with me only 6 months as visitors and I will have to do my dissertation work back home... It is possible but harder...

The environmental design and engineering program at the Bartlett is one of the oldest of its kind in Britain and attending it will solve my visa problem, but the school is not as globally renowned as the AA and i will have to pay more (no scholarship)

What do you think??

Thank you... Jonathan

Jun 2, 12 3:48 am
SOM_PLA

I also got admissions from both schools as MArch degree. I decide to go to the Bartlett although many people in this site recommended me to go to the AA. Surely, It was a tough call for me. However, the Bartlett program is more attrative for me. moreover, theses days, the bartlett is more popular than the AA in my country, I dont know why the status of the AA is in decline lately in my country.  I`m not UK & US. I`m from Asia. :)

Jun 3, 12 10:05 am  · 
 · 
TED

The Bartlett MSc is much more engineering driven and very much disconnected from the School of architecture[no architecture staff who teach studio, et all, participate in the environmental course which is taught in a different building on the campus] - at the AA even with a MSc it is still within the context of a design school and all the incredible richness- while tough - I would do the AA, stay in the UK for your dissertation by your self.  It is a short time.

Jun 4, 12 7:20 am  · 
 · 

The AA masters degrees are sponsored by the Open University and they are on the government list of approved institutions (at least they used to be). I had several classmates and students whose families came with them when they did the degree

Jun 4, 12 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

They still are. The AA degrees are validated by the Open University which is needed by any private institution in the UK to issue university degrees. :D

Jun 4, 12 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
TED

@Jonathan_arc Is there something with the new visa changes from April that has now doesn't allow you to bring your family? 

The Part 1 and Part 2 examination exemptions at the AA are not degree awards and are part of the undergraduate school -  and are not validated by the open university. 

This year the AA had been doing QAA statements etc., and with the ridiculous boarder agency-visa changes over the last year might be finding itself in a position to align its awards and processes more closely with UK - HE to maintain its 'good status' independent of others. 

Jun 5, 12 4:12 am  · 
 · 
Jonathan_arc

Many thanks for your comments,
We have to make the decision tomorrow and it is still a hard one. The ridicules situation with the border agency is very frustrating. We have tried everything and sadly there is nothing that can be done. If I will attend the AA, my wife and son will have to join me as tourists for up to six months only. There is a risk that their following entrance to the UK afterwards will be prohibited.  I want to know if it is a risk worth taking.
Does anybody know more details about the Environmental Design and Engineering program at the Bartlett?
Like TED I also heard about the engineering orientation of the program at the Bartlett, but in that particular field of study that can be a strong advantage (together with the interdisciplinary environment of the program at the Bartlett). Others had advised me that the strong side of the Masters programs at the AA are the ones focusing on design - like the DRL, so studying environmental design at the AA will the write place but the wrong program…
What do you think?

Jun 12, 12 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan_arc

Another question is regarding the job opportunities of graduates from the AA and Bartlett at the environmental design programs -
Is there a difference of prestige between the schools in the environmental design program?
Will it be easier to find a job at the UK with a degree from each of these schools?

Jun 12, 12 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Hi Jonathan,

Just learned an interesting thing - we [Oxford Brookes] extended our graduate courses to +12 months in order for students to bring spouses + children[with a visa].  If the course dates are 12 months or less [very specific to the visa/CAS dates] then your not allowed to get visas for them as you say.  It obviously cost Brookes £££ but they see it as an important part to a students learning [to have one's family there].  

As AA is a private Uni [other Unis discussed on archinect are public including Bartlett] they have limits on what they can do regarding visas.

Hope this helps.

Jul 19, 12 4:31 am  · 
 · 
ki74

hey Jonathan,

I wish I could've read this thread a year earlier! I'm really interested to know what you chose in the end. I also got accepted to the EDE (bartlett). I avoided the AA because I felt its artistic/architecture approach is something that I was already given in my undergrad degree.

Yes the Bartlett program is more engineering oriented, but its very old, well established and really adds to your interdisciplinary skills set.A friend of mine who attended it told me exactly that. So,ya, I wish I could've contributed a year earlier haha

Jul 30, 13 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Hi ki74, would you recommend doing a masters in environmental design for an architecture graduate? Does it make you more employable? Can you still work in architecture after this degree or do graduates become sustainability consultants?

Apr 10, 17 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: