Archinect
anchor

providence firms??

sureel08

anybody have any input on good firms in the Providence area to start out at??

Dec 19, 06 8:31 pm
threshold

Do you have a preference for type of work? (residential, commercial, institutional, adaptive reuse…)

Dec 20, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 
h1

the absence of responses does beg the question: why providence?

Dec 20, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

you mean... what is providence?

Dec 20, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

there are a couple of RISD profs that do decent work although I can't remeber any names other than kyna leski's practice...

Dec 20, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Archnrrrrd

Estes/Twombley
Kite Architects
Lerner Ladd & Bartels
Friedrich St. Florian
3Six0

That's it.

Dec 20, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

I mostly agree with Archnrrd but in my opinion Lerner-Ladds work has been very inconsistent in recent years.

Jim Estes and Peter Twombly are doing some great work in the modern regional vernacular vein similar in theory to Brian McKay Lyons, Lake-Flato... They are well published and aggressively go after awards. Their office is also very, very busy right now but they have made it a point to stay small so it may be tough (even though they are busy) to get in the door.

Bill Kite’s office just moved to a great adaptive-reuse space on the west side of Providence. They do a mix of work, mostly commercial, but they have won awards for their residential projects too. The office is made up of mostly RWU grads.

I don’t know much about what St. Florian (RISD professor) is working on these days. He did the media-controversial WWII memorial in DC and was instrumental in the façade design of the Providence Place Mall.

3SIX0 are doing some really interesting, progressive work but they are also entrenched at RISD so they are pulling the best of the best right out of school so competition for jobs will be tough.

I would also add TwoTon to the list. This firm again has strong ties to RISD. Peter Benarcik teaches in the furniture dept. and Luke Mandle is the son of RISD President Roger Mandle. Their office is the coolest around – it is an office, gallery and production space (wood and metal shop). They are young and still an upstart.

You should also look at Bay + Bay Architects, Newport Collaborative (I would give them a C+ overall), Durkee Brown Vivieros & Werenfels (B- and they are doing a good deal of adaptive reuse work in the old mills here) and Vision II (C+).

Dec 21, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: