Archinect
anchor

Used Record Store/CD/DVD store in NYC?

tman

I justed moved to NY and I'm from LA, so I'm used to amoeba records (best store in the world). Anyone know of a similar store in NYC?

Dec 15, 06 12:18 am
tman
www.amoebamusic.com
Dec 15, 06 12:19 am  · 
 · 
surface

Kim's on St. Mark's is probably the closest equivalent, though it is nowhere near the scale of Amoeba (at least if it is anything like the SanFran Haight St. one.. haven't been to the one in LA).

also, Other Music is similar but a bit smaller.

In San Fran I preferred Aquarius Records... that place was awesome.

Dec 15, 06 1:26 am  · 
 · 
tman

susan,

ya i've been to kim's (there's one by Columbia right?)...it's got some good selection, but not enough used and wierd/random stuff. I guess that i'll probably have to get a lot of stuff shipped from online.

Anyways, if you don't mind i might send you an email of other questions on where-to-go places in NYC.

Dec 15, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

actually you should go to the kims on st. marks...it is the main location. you aren't going to find a huge space like amoeba here in nyc....but you will find a ton of great smaller shops...like other music or sounds or ...well theres actually a ton of funky little cd stores. really its more about location. you want to look in the east village, lower east side, and williamsburg mostly for the quirky and random. west village can still have some finds, just harder to come by.

Dec 15, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
surface

Hey, I don't mind! Send away!

But I agree with futureboy, the Kim's on St. Marks is probably a different thing from one up by Columbia.

Dec 15, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 
gvg

academy on 18th between 5th and 6th. Great for used Jazz cd's especially, also a lot of classical, world, boxed sets, DVDs.
I don't think I've ever walked out the door without something.

Nothing is as big as Ameoba in New York, get used to a little disappointment.

Dec 16, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
emilyrides

I'll also go with everyone else, Kim's in St. Marks is the best thing we have in the used CD/DVd department. Kim's is pretty good, but it is far short of amazing to be honest. Sadly, and suprisingly,NYC is really lacking a good used music store, most of the places I went to growing up have closed in the last few years. I assume it's nearly impossible to pay the rent selling used music. Even Tower Records, while no gem, just closed it's doors. Most of the used bookstores have gone the way of the Dodo in the last 10 years as well. Other Music is a cool store for new music, especially hard to find bands, imports and whatnot. It's kind of a haul (about 40 minutes on the NJ Transit train), but the Princeton Record Exchange is a top notch used record store, and *gasp* they actually sell record, as in VINYL. Fat Beats is a mind blowing shop if you're into hip hop. It is as good as a specialized record shop can possibly be, and the have plenty rare and hard to find vinyl and white label DJ platters. You would think NYC would be drowning in cool record stores, but it just isn't. By the way...Welcome to New York City!

Dec 16, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Fat Beats on 6th Ave & 8th St (next to Gray's Papaya) is cool. They do only hip-hop records, but their collection is extensive. You can also find instrumentals and graffiti DVDs and stuff. It's probably not what you had in mind, but it's worth checking out. Plus, every once in a while, they do in-stores with different underground artists.

Dec 17, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: