Archinect
anchor

how to be good?

cj w.

just wanted to know... how to be good? how to be able to conjure up original ideas? how to speak like u guys? reading a lot of you guys' posts, i find that there is so much depth in them. some of the school blogs are also great....and a lot more... so, how to be good? :-?

Dec 11, 06 11:54 am
Living in Gin
Dec 11, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

time.
read.
practice.
time.

Dec 11, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

smoke shih sha?

Dec 11, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Before you get that advice and begin the process of emulation, you'll first need a list of who's actually good here.

Dec 11, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I liked this topic but didn't have time to post this morning.

Similar to bucku, I was going to say: Be honest, be curious, be optimistic, and have patience - it takes time and experience to have any kind of useful knowledge.

The thing with this kind of knowledge is it builds on itself - so you have to do some book learning that is then revealed as solid or not through real world experience. And this process speeds up the more experience you have. Hang in there and keep at it, and stay curious, optimistic, and honest.

Dec 11, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

one of the best advice i recieved, and perhaps one of the most scariest and humbling pieces of advice i have ever recieved: truly ask yourself if you really are good.

oftentimes, you know the truth, and hide behind it in your actions/work/"passions".

He told me, if you cannot answer this in the positive, it is not worth your time. It sounds rather negative, but you should really question yourself to know yourself. it also opens up within yourself a dialogue that is really conducive of growth...but it all falls in line with being true to your self...

Dec 11, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't know where you are in the educational process or career track, but I'll assume for a moment that you haven't begun architecture school yet. I remember reading in a book somewhere, "Nobody expects you to be good when you start architecture school, but they do expect you to be good when you finish." Somehow that line has always stuck with me, and I've found it to be somewhat reassuring as I prepare for grad school.

Dec 11, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Read. And not just architecture theory either. Read anything written by good writers, and you will become a better writer. Read anything written by anybody with something profound to say, and you will think more profoundly. Even when you read something bad, you learn what bad is.

Dec 11, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

and after asking yourself that question, try to be your own self. you always model yourself of the things around you, whether you are unconscious or not...

i have heard of stages of learning that go something like this:

1. unconscious incompetence

2. conscious incompetence

3. conscious competence

4. unconscious competence.

"unlearning" is steps 4 to 2.
"relearning" is 2 back to 4, but with more choices.

that is just one simplified model, but often its a good way to start questioning and being aware of your self and your growth...When i see someone that is truly "good", there are often categorized into two types of people: those who know their destination and try to get there. and those who dont know their destination, but have faith in the actual journey to a destination.

Dec 11, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

and to Living in Gin, that alice in wonderland image gives me another quote from that book that is relavent in this discussion (but not necessarily connected with mind altering drugs.. hehe... which work sometimes!):

"would you tell me, please, which way i ought to go from here?"
"well, that depends a great deal on where you want to get to," said the cat.
"I dont much care where..." said Alice.
"Well, then it doesnt matter which way you go," said the cat.

-Lewis Carroll.

Dec 11, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

thank you guys for all the comments, it is much appreciated and i would really like to expound this discussion further...

i'll come back with my reactions / explanations / what have you's soon... for the meantime gotta take care of something..

cheers!

Dec 14, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Spaghetti......you are profound and wise beyond your years (even though I don't know your age).
Most of those things you've said have struck a chord with me only because (from personal experience) the things that lead you to your "final destination" if you will, are those things you discover when you open your eyes and your mind to the differences around you. I think those are vital in your learning of life and of architecture. Even though at times I do ask myself if I am good, I follow it up with, "what do I know? and do I know enough?" Most of the time it's "No, I don't know it all, and cannot guess if I will ever know!" Maybe that's what keeps me "passionate" about what I do!

Just my $.02

Cheers all

Dec 14, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
spaghetti

and also, aknowledging that in reality, there shouldnt be a final destination. not to say you shouldnt have goals and achieve them, but those never become the true end point.

im not sure if im actually wise beyond my years, or just have too much time right now in between jobs. funny how i feel so stuck even with that "wisdom" hah.

later!

Dec 14, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
leandrop0x

Hi everyone... I'm new here... spaghetti has some real insight. Its true... as creatives... we all need a very strong sense of introspection.

Also, I think being really good needs humility and openness to ideas... of course... after being humble and open to new ideas... and depending on where you are on the architectural design food chain/hierarchy... thats when you rev yourself up and shoot them down... hehehehe... and plaster your own "brilliant" ideas...

Dec 14, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
dia

"Oh, Salvador, now you know the truth: that if you act the genius, you will be one!" - Salvador Dali

Dec 14, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
tman

apply what you learn learn in the office, school, books, museums, etc to develop your thinking, not be your thinking. Be critical and understand the process of your idols, not their style. Have patience, rigor, and absorb anything and everything you are interested in and you'll be fine.

good luck

Dec 14, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: