Archinect
anchor

25 and attending Intro to Architecture - am I too old?

tcbearth

Is 25 too old to be taking a summer intro course (specifically Columbia's Introduction to Architecture)? I've heard conflicting reports - some say it's about average, others that it's heavily weighted toward the 18-21 crowd. Any thoughts?

May 1, 11 11:08 pm
lililili

no.  they separate students into different age groups--those still in undergrad and those graduated.  it's more important to know which instructor to lead the group.  Some instructors have really interesting approaches, but you don't get to choose them.  They also offer field trips to architecture firms, so go...

May 3, 11 1:33 am  · 
 · 
trace™

No, certainly not too old

May 3, 11 8:34 am  · 
 · 
TED

yes. way too old.

May 3, 11 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

You're not too old, but I would question whether this is a sane path to take these days.  The inevitable recovery will be slow, very slow, to open the money coffers as far as architecture and construction go.  It will be glacially incremental. 

You will be worn out by the time you finish school, and ready to reap rewards that probably won't exist.  

May 3, 11 9:44 am  · 
 · 
med.

You're not old.

May 3, 11 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

No. I was 25 when I started at Tulane. I'll be almost 30 come graduation next year. And I'm thinking about doing post-grad work as well somewhere.

May 3, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

orson welles was 25 when he did citizen kane. think about it.

May 3, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Yeah, but Alexander the Great was 32 when he died. You got plenty of time.

May 3, 11 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it took those seven years to finish the idp.

May 3, 11 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

IDP in seven years? Perhaps 2300 years ago...

May 4, 11 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
njones

I transfered to architecture school when I was 25 and I was better off then students that were younger than me. I was not much older than them but the experience and background I gained working while I was in junior college helped me out alot. I had a stronger foundation  when I entered studio.  

May 9, 11 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: