Archinect
anchor

I want to teach in US ! but How ?

overworked_underpayed

i want to teach in US ! my passion is to be a teacher . I know I have to be the very best and a high achiever. I do not mind a shitty university as a start.

I managed to get a ivyleague stamp on my back with my masters but ofcourse that is not enough.. i donot have great connections... i do not have great results.. and I am an Asian . Do I have hope?

Dec 6, 06 7:01 pm

Were you ever a TA? It's hard for us to judge whether you have hope since we don't know if you are a good architect or a good teacher. But you have a Masters degree, which is the first step.

I was about to suggest to try starting at a jr. college or adult education program, but I'd like people who have taught to weigh in on whether there's any stigma that goes with that or not.

I have heard that the doors of SCAD are revolving at a pretty fast pace, so they always seem to be looking for teachers.

Dec 6, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
overworked_underpayed

No I was never a TA. i know its a far cry :<

Dec 6, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
tman

do you know any current professors...maybe test the water and sit in on reviews. Final for studio is almost here, better get on it.

and btw, why does it matter that you're asian? Don't express bigotry on yourself...but maybe you're saying that you can't speak english very well.

Dec 6, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
casual

lol @ "I do not mind a shitty university as a start."

Dec 7, 06 12:28 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Where you from? I'll teach in your town and I'll do it for cheap! I'll take all your friends jobs away!

I kid I kid,..

Dec 7, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

casual thanks for pointing that out...i glossed over that one...what an attitude huh?...that's great...funny definitely...

Dec 7, 06 12:52 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I forgot to mention that. thanks for reminding me, dammson.

"I'll teach in your town and i don't mind a shitty University to start."

overworked, please post your full name so I can pass it around to some uh friends in the biz. You'll have a job in no time. It may be a shitty restaurant to start, but its a foot in the door!

Dec 7, 06 12:57 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Don't forget -- publish or perish. If you want to teach, write a few things and get them published.

One other suggestion to add -- continiung education departments. The pay isn't all that, but it can be a way to get some experience, which will get your foot in the door.

Dec 7, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
raj

i just got a position in teaching and discovered they are out there.
the easiest way i think to get started is to go to a college town and look at offers (in texas, schools like texas tech and texas A&m were always looking. hard to get people to small towns like lubbock and college station) other options like smaller schools (i.e. again using texas...like prairie view).

finally, i would suggest getting to know a school near you...offering to crit etc. just know you are going to STILL be overworked and underpaid!!!

Dec 7, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Are you licensed? If so, you are in a better bargaining position to teach in *some* programs, for example, Drexel's co-op program.

In my experience the best way to start teaching is to serve on juries for people who teach (as tman said above). When I taught I hated calling up my friends and asking them to volunteer time to crit. So go to a local school and talk to the professors there, tell them you are available fro juries.

Dec 7, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I have a Masters and wanted to teach undergrad classes - I was turned down…woe is me:( ...they said go for your PhD and you might have a chance. I truly want to believe mespellrong when it comes to published work, but I've been there and done that and it didn't help. And I agree with rationalist that you should start locally at a jr. college or adult education program. Might not be your first pick but it is a start.

Dec 8, 06 3:43 am  · 
 · 
bothands

Katze I find it hard to believe you were told you need a PHD to teach -- only with History/Theory classes is it ever required in architecture, in both undregrad or grad! Most studio profs certainly do not have PHDs, and I know a few with just a BArch.
in terms of starting out teaching, connections at a school helps as does some recognition/publication, but even without either you can apply to one of the several teaching fellowships out there these days -- then you mainly need a kick-ass portfolio, and an ability to shine in an interview/presentation if you're shot-listed...

Dec 8, 06 4:16 am  · 
 · 
Katze

bothands – I should have been a little clearer in my post and I expected your question. I am transitioning from Software Engineering (SWE) to Architecture. Before making the final transition, I gave it one last shot at teaching the SWE discipline. I applied at many of the top SWE schools, and I kid you not, I was denied; responses typically included that I would have better luck with a PhD in my major. I have since transitioned into Architecture as a student because Architecure is my passion:)

Dec 8, 06 4:39 am  · 
 · 

i'd advise both networking for the temporary assignments (so you can build a resume of teaching experience) but also continually applying for the faculty search committee positions.

the temporary assignments are not always pleasant because they are often assigned by the administration/dean and the faculty on the search committees feel that they've been slighted. they're not ABOUT to let you slip in and stay. so they can make things difficult. pure politics.

so you bounce a little until you have enough teaching background that a search committee feels you've done enough dues and will try you in an official hire. then you have to be ready to PRODUCE WORK. if you have a life, a family, etc, drop them all if you want to work toward tenure track. you might have time to come back to them in about 5-7 yrs.

Dec 8, 06 7:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Do you want to teach to avoid having a job?

Dec 8, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
overworked_underpayed

I think by working i get to know the industry..more . it gives an edge rather then being a full academic. I think I will start looking at some small town Uni's . I know ppl from school teaching with worse english and knowledge just because of connection .

and it is true about the PHD factor. It makes an " ideal " candidtate as i was told.

thanks for the tips !

Dec 8, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: