Archinect
anchor

carbon fiber panels?

mowo26

i am having trouble finding any manufacturers of carbon fiber or other fabric panels for an interior residential project. any suggestions or other advice? seems like everyone is either geared towards industrial applications or are custom-boat makers...

any help would be appreciated.

Dec 5, 06 11:24 pm
mdler

what is the specific application?

Dec 6, 06 12:21 am  · 
 · 
binary

make your own....... clear epoxy resin and carbon fiber sheets

:

Dec 6, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i don't know whether you're looking for panels ready for purchase or raw materials...but if you're looking for raw materials then check your local yellow pages and look under fiberglass, plastics, resin, boat repair...where are you?

plus, i don't know what you mean by industrial application/custom boat maker....if it's material...then i think they're the same (?)...but if you're talking wholesale vs. retail...then that all depends on the distributor/manufacturer, here in l.a. i was able to purchase sheets of fiberglass out of the roll cut to size from a distributor/manufacturer...they allow walk in customers...

Dec 6, 06 2:30 am  · 
 · 
garpike

You mean fiberglass, not carbon fiber right?

Dec 6, 06 4:46 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

by the way this spot sells carbon fiber...in sheets also...fyi

Dec 6, 06 4:52 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Wilhelmson Arkitekter used carbon fibre panels (not fibre glass) in the Saab showroom, produced by a local boat and aeroplane shell manufacturer. Do you need flat sheets or custom-made bent panels?

Dec 6, 06 4:58 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Try Boeing in Seattle.....think they use Carbon Fiber all the time...

Dec 6, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
mowo26

the application for the carbon fiber is for vertical panels - 4'x12' laminated to mdf or plywood and then screwed to studs.

basically, i am looking for someone (manufacturer|fabricator) to produce the panels for the high-end residential project in new york.

Dec 6, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

may i ask why you're looking to use carbon fiber, then? it seems like any number of materials would work for that application (for cheaper and with far fewer headaches). carbon fiber is typically used for complex compound shapes that require structural integrity (meaning they themselves are structural) and that are lightweight....i'm just wondering why you would be going through so much trouble and not using the material for what it is....in other words. why aren't you just using fiberglass or pretty much any other resin panel, or hell even corian without the backing? just a question.

Dec 6, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
mcmaster

has almost everything.

Dec 6, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
binary

use the carbon fiber laminate......cheaper... formica might carry it

:

Dec 6, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: