Where did you see this?

Nov 30, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba
www.di.net
Nov 30, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

What is the link to the list, I hate their website and can't find anything?

Nov 30, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

You have to buy the rankings. It costs $30. There is a link right on the homepage.

Nov 30, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

That is lame, perhaps someone who has the list might be willing to post the top 20 schools for undergrad and grad.

Nov 30, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

I prefer to save my money for sex and booze.

Nov 30, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Sorry, man. Can't share the information. Illegal. Good luck.

Nov 30, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

i think
baboomba works for DI.com
he's an AD man

Nov 30, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Nope. Just a guy applying to grad. arch schools this year. Just thought it was interesting that Penn dropped from #4 to unranked.

Nov 30, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

OK, search for the rest of the DI threads on this site... believe me, nobody here's gotten nailed for posting the DI rankings yet.

Nov 30, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Probably true, but I'm not posting them. I paid my $30 fair and square. Sorry guys.

Nov 30, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
firetruck

'07
1. Harvard
2. University of Cincinnati
3. Yale
4. MIT
5. University of Virginia
6. Cornell
7. Rice
8. Washington U in St. Louis
9. Columbia
10. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State Univ.
11. Princeton
12. Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
13. Univ. of Texas at Austin
14. RISD
15. Univ. of Michigan

Nov 30, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Busted.

Nov 30, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

These rankings make about as much sense as the BCS. I don't know if I should start offending people right now or shrug it off. On Wisconsin!

Nov 30, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

The difference is that the BCS loves USC, but DI hates us!

Nov 30, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
TED

im sorry but dont these folks get out much? did they cancel flights to the west coast or are the schools out there really crap?

Nov 30, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

They not only cancelled their flights, they don't bother to thoroughly peruse the websites, either. I noticed this when I got ahold of the book at an AIA convention, and they didn't even have accurate information on what degrees were offered at the school I went to.

Nov 30, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
TED
DI bored

their board member all corp types / manager types [some call themselfs DEsigners]....yawn.

Nov 30, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

from their web page....

"This survey is the bridge between academia and professional practice, holding academia accountable to the needs of the profession."

now somehow, i dont think those gsd grads consider their education from harvard driven by the need to be "accountable to the needs of the profession!" sounds very pedestrian to me!

Nov 30, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

that list above is just one category.....what about the others?

Nov 30, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

look at the board members....notice anything.....only one member lives west of Colorado!!!

Nov 30, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

...and he works for a construction company!

Nov 30, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

the DI rankings don't mean anything....

Nov 30, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

that's true silver....but it's an interesting and humorous look at how skewed the ideals are of our field. people forget that academia does not, and should not make architects...that is the job for practice.

Nov 30, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
TED

hey cynic -- its the NEEDS of the practice!! you know -- answer phones at lunch, run to the shop, service the boses wife,...... who ever from DI wrote the description was a grad from devry tech!

Nov 30, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

by the way baboomba....you must a new guy, and apparently don't know the etiquette of the forum. it's one thing if you bought the information and don't want to share it....but if you buy the rankings, make a comment about them by starting a thread, and then refuse to share the rest of the info, then two things will happen:

a) the conversation will go nowhere, thus wasting everyone's time,
and
b) you turn out to be the selfish conversation teaser.

it's like teasing a dog with food....sooner or later you'll get eaten...

Nov 30, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
firetruck

Well just so nobody eats baboomba here are the rest of these rankings. The above are for grad., undergrad is:
1. Cornell
2. Rice
3. Syracuse
4. Virginia Polytechnic
5. RISD
6. Auburn,
Cal Poly,
Univ. Kansas
9. Univ. Texas at Austin
10. CMU
11. Notre Dame
12. Kansas State
13. IIT
14. Iowa State, Pratt, Univ. Oregon, USC

Nov 30, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

well thats an easy list -- all BArch's -- guess the BA/BS dont mean squat to the real intelligent people in design -- oh yeah i guess the 5 year program must do something better than the 4 year ones

Nov 30, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
the needs of the profession

so what about my needs to have a fulfilling career?
or earn a good paycheck?

And is it the local profession or the global version created by nafta and startchitects?

the profession is well served in mpls by associate degreed cad monkeys billed at 1/2 the rate of an intern, yet producing 2x as much (or is it the otherway around: interns paid 1/2 of what the 'technical staff' get?)

DI didn't figure out a ranking of the best schools, but a ranking of the best job fairs for employers to poach wet behind the ear graduates from. A very different set of criteria. But then I still would hire a drexel grad over DAAP anyday.

Oh, blame Detlef for chasing after decade old ideas with state-of-the-art technology for getting penn dropped from the list.

Nov 30, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
archislave

how about industrial design and interiors for grad...

Nov 30, 06 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

*HELLZ YEAH! UMICH IS BACK UP THERE!*

(yeah yeah, blah blah, let me have my bit of irrational joy)

Nov 30, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Um...of course they are only ranking accredited degree programs. They have never included BA and Bs programs

Dec 1, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

what school has the lowest rank out of all the architecture schools for grad?

Dec 1, 06 12:26 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm curious how they managed to rate Cornell's M.Arch. program as #3, since the program hasn't even been around long enough to produce large numbers of graduates on the job market. Nothing against Cornell (I hope to go there myself) but it doesn't seem to speak well of DI's methodology.

Dec 1, 06 12:27 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

while rankings may not entirely reflect the quality of each program, they do play a huge role in attracting students to the "top" programs.

ever since cornell has been ranked no.1 for several years for the best undergrad program, there has been a dramatic increase in applicants every year, making admissions more competitive and thus improving the quality of students. two years ago, 1 out of every 5 applicant was admitted into the program. this year, 1 out of every 9 applicants was admitted. I cannot think of anything else that would have caused this dramatic increase. High school students weigh their decisions heavily based on rankings.

Dec 1, 06 1:43 am  · 
 · 
dillup.

man those are so wack. u. cincinnati above yale and mit for GRAD school (which is a fledgling program to say the least, just started a few years ago) and yet their undergrad, which is usually #1 and definetely more established, isn't' even in the top 15... this stuff changes radically every year.

but for some reason harvard is the only consistent school @ #1 always.....

Dec 1, 06 1:45 am  · 
 · 
myriam
there has been a dramatic increase in applicants every year, making admissions more competitive and thus improving the quality of students

Just to be an ass--since DI rankings are all ass anyway--an increase in applicants doesn't necessarily mean better students. It only means better students if better students begin to apply. And that still depends on the admissions team's ability to figure out which are the better students during the admissions process, which I think any school official could candidly tell you is not really the case. Particularly in architecture programs. Particularly at schools were money is a factor.

Selectivity of high school applicants is hardly a measure of design program worth.

Dec 1, 06 1:48 am  · 
 · 
myriam

hardly a good measure*

Dec 1, 06 1:49 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

If Columbia has slipped, it's probably due to one reason:
We're too busy having lots of wild sex!

Dec 1, 06 2:03 am  · 
 · 

thanks for the Ann Coulter video. That was...hilarious.

Dec 1, 06 4:17 am  · 
 · 
TED

clearly javier, your not a christian, not a looker and a loser under ms. c's low culture standard criteria-- just jealous. or perhaps your just from a broken home and grew up sleeping in the same house as your father. creepy.

any good clubs on the west coast?

Dec 1, 06 4:45 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ann coulter:

"if you want more sex, become an evangelical"

Dec 1, 06 5:15 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Good lord. Ann Coulter is such an ass.

Dec 1, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Imagine

Since the DI rankings exclude BA or BS in Arch schools, how would you all rank schools that offer that type of degree vs. the B. Arch? I am mainly interested in an undergraduate degree.

Dec 1, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
TED

gin, looks like you skipped over too fast on your road trip to columbia and missed the special bits.

Dec 1, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

What special bits would you be referring to?

There's several schools I'm applying to besides Columbia and Cornell; I just didn't have the time or travel budget to visit them all this time.

Dec 1, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
TED

gin--the ann video says it all. see orEqual link above

Dec 1, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Oh, I missed the joke... I saw the URL of the link and skipped past it. I can't watch Faux News or Coulter without having a sudden urge to shoot myself in the face.

But yeah, maybe I would have had a better impression of Columbia if I had stuck around on campus for a little longer.

Dec 1, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

for the record, I'm at columbia, i'm not hideously ugly, and have not ONCE had an invite to the wild sexy party scene. I think Ann Coulter is lying.

damnit.

I'm also curious to see who is at the very bottom of the list(s). that's gotta suck, even though it doesn't really matter.

Dec 1, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
TED

perhaps your from a broken home and slept at the same house of your father?

dont know how thats supposed to connect but thats what she said.

i am so glad i am not a republican.

Dec 1, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: