Archinect
anchor

wii

xtbl

so, does anyone out there have one? is it cool? fun? i'm not much of a gamer, but the new toy from nintendo piqued my interest.

Nov 29, 06 1:02 pm

i saw a commercial for this and, after the commercial, had no idea what the hell wii is. still don't, really, though now i know it has to do with gaming.

Nov 29, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I've played one, and it is extremely fun. I highly recommend if your a soft-core gamer/non-gamer or have a family and your looking for some good old fashioned fun. The motion based controls are very intuitive and it makes the other systems, despite their technical prowess, feel dated. That said, I'm still wanting a PS3 because there are alot of franchise games coming out for it that im a bit dedicated to.

Nov 29, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that's old-fashioned fun?

Nov 29, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
makesamnsure

it's a lot of fun, even though the graphics aren't much. ps3 is my fav.

Nov 29, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

closest to old-fashioned fun as i've ever experienced on a video game system. Its not overbearing, the controls are very intuitive.

Nov 29, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

My girlfriend's got 3 of them. She's sellin them on eBay

Nov 30, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

My roommate brought home a Wii the other night, and I gotta tell you.....it's the funnest thing ever. I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing, and I don't even like video games. I seriously haven't played video games since the Oregon Trail in probably 7th grade or something.

Anyway, it's so user friendly. And it makes me feel good because I have no hand-eye coordination, but I have arm-eye coordination apparently, so I kick ass at some of these games.

Also you can make your own little characters in the system (called "Miis") and save them, and then play all sorts of games with them. And they can mingle with other Miis in other systems!

The Wii can also connect wirelessly to our internet, and we can browse on our TV. Honestly, I can't fathom how this thing is only $250. Bravo, Nintendo.

Feb 2, 07 12:54 am  · 
 · 
AP

ha! you may have just dated yourself dubK. I was playin oregon trail in the 4th grade...on a DOS system if i recall correctly.

oh. i thought this thread was about some obscure roman numeral...

Feb 2, 07 1:00 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, I knew that I was older than you AP! Seriously though, Oregon Trail was the best. Always trying to buy oxen and sheep, and avoid getting cholera. I mean, what does World of Warcraft teach young people about disease, really? Nothing, I say!

Feb 2, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wow oregon trail... god i can't even remeber what grade i was in when i was playing that.

Feb 2, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

god. it's amazing how old a game like 'oregon trail' can make you feel. senior in high school when it came out. Apple II.
i hate young people.

Feb 2, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...yeah but i bet you can't remember programming you Vic 20 with code for a game only to play it for maybe 2 hrs and then have to shut it down and lose all of the code because you had no hard drive....4 hrs programming[transcribbing] code for 2 hrs play hmmm....all games should be like this, perhaps we'd get more done in the world?

Feb 2, 07 5:05 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I learned LOGO (my very first cad) way back when... yeah the good old days of home computing before the internet, before hard drives, before windows, before?

Feb 2, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've posted here before how much I don't understand the attraction to video games - and this is since playing Pong in a friend's basement when it first came out (how's that for "old" you pups!) My husband has always been in agreement with me on this.

But: my brother in law has a Wii, and while visiting him a few weeks ago my husband and the family boys had a total blast playing Wii - Apurimac is absolutely right, it is very "family friendly" as you can play one another and everyone has a good time laughing and watching. It was very fun. Just be careful not to pitch the thing through the TV screen!

Feb 2, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

yeah..lb.

i'm just waiting for the new wii injuries to start rollin in..or
insurance claims cause someone broke somethin...mom
always said don't play ball in the house.

Feb 2, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

be careful with these new fangled contraptions. you might loose all of your oxen and die of dysentery
[img]http://a591.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_25c7f2a1cb07e98be6b32369b2f564ee[img]

Feb 2, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/377497703_d0fd9a1951_m.jpg[img]

Feb 2, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist
Feb 2, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
postal

i bought one... it rocks... no regrets...

you can all come over for wii tennis sometime... i'll make lemonade.

but seriously, the system transcends the traditional gaming demographic.

we had my parents over, and my mom wanted to get one. (of course she was a natural at tennis and bowling) she thinks they'd invite friends over and play.

i'm fresh outta school and have alway been involved with gaming, so its no wonder i got this for christmas (yes, I waited overnight at target). but i bought my girlfriend the Trauma Center game and she was immediately hooked. it was fairly odd to see someone not familiar with games go through the same obsession/frustration/pleasure that seems so commonplace with myself.

and of course, i like the system, and have always enjoyed nintendo games. though the graphics aren't great (if you have PS3 or X360, you would say they downright suck) imho, the games have a longer playing time, and better storylines. and as evident by some games (katamari damacy) graphic realism may not be required/desired. but that's a whoooooooole nother issue to talk about.

bottom line, the wii is great. and the unconventional controls will be amazing for this new genre of "party" games. I can't wait for mario party and super smash!

Feb 2, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

cool! gotta get one! now, if they would only make oregon trail for it... oh, and where in the world is carmen san diego, of course.

Feb 2, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
sandmansd

wii sure gives oregon trail a run for its money... but to no avail... our school had apple2gs... now THAT was a powerful little machine!!

Feb 2, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

My friend has the Wii and it's so fun. Nintendo has really pulled it together and made some great systems these days.

I've never understood the stigma with video games. There definately are some seriously nerdy games that suck up peoples' lives in a creepy way. But, I don't know why video games are inherently worse than any other type of game. My friend and I like to bust out some wireless Mario Kart DS. For some reason, people claim that as childish or nerdy. But it would be fine if we played poker or chess. Never understood why there is a difference.

Dude, I have Trauma Center on DS, it's so fun. BTW don't forget you have a whole new world opened up with Gamecube games on the Wii. You can play some great "old school" games like Resident Evil (4), F-Zero, Tomb Raider Legend, etc. Wii is a pretty sweet package.

Feb 2, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
AP

mario kart is top 5 in my book.

tony hawk is up there too...although it's been a while since i've touched either.

Feb 2, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I am all about Excite Bike and designing my own course.

Feb 2, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Oh and...

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start

Feb 2, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

hell ya elvischyld. that's what i'm talking about. both excite bike and contra code. i have brothers, so we used the 2 player version of the code ...b, a, b, a, select, start.

Feb 2, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
AP

007-373-5963

Mike Tyson's Punch Out, code to get straight to the final fight against Mike "Kid Dynamite" Tyson...

Feb 2, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wow, and i thought i was gaming nerd...

Feb 2, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hasselhoff, I saw "surgery" in the url above and was sure your story was about a wii unit being surgically removed from someone's rear after their competitor/friend whipped it across the room at them!

Feb 19, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: