Archinect
anchor

Question for Germans

Does anyone have experience with the translation of their German "Diplom"? What is the equivalent - would you apply to a job asking for a M.Arch. with it?

Nov 29, 06 9:08 am
robust84

I'm not German but I think the Diplom is what you get when you're complete with all of your studies, right? I think that's equivalent to an M.Arch. The american B.Arch i think is more equivalent to a Vordiplom.

Nov 29, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
maphea

Yep, that's right - the iplom is what you get after 5 -6 Ys. of studies, so you can call it equivalent.
With a vordiplom however you will have a tough time finding a full-time Job. And: Having your diplom you have to work two years before you can call yourself architect. But that's like everywhere.
Why you're asking?

Nov 29, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
maphea

Yep, that's right - the diplom is what you get after 5 -6 Ys. of studies, so you can call it equivalent.
With a vordiplom however you will have a tough time finding a full-time Job. And: Having your diplom you have to work two years before you can call yourself architect. But that's like everywhere.
Why you're asking?

Nov 29, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

I was wondering if anyone has gotten an approved translation of their Diplom that states it is equivalent to a Masters. And of course I would be interested to know who translated it.

Nov 29, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

what do you mean by "approved translation"? If you are just applying for a job you can write on your cv Dipl.Ing. from TU wherever and in parentheses write "equivalent to U.S. MArch" or something similar (same thing if you are applying to grad school). If you are seeking professional registration in the U.S. with a Dipl.Ing. you'll have to check with NCARB what the requirements are for meeting equivalency with a US-American professional degree (I'm sure they have rules for this). If this is a visa issue, I don't know. Hope this helps.
viel Glueck

Nov 29, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
noci

I once heard a story that some firms asked prospective German employees what that "diploma" thing is all about, since as they understood it having a "diploma" in something is like a weird badge of merit, like an extra or something, and were pretty surprised when dweeb tells them "no, it's my MA goddamnit".

there won't be no more Diplom though, as univ. got all BA/MA-fuckerized in the past year. Humboldt is rotating in his grave like a Broiler.

Dec 1, 06 5:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: